What's new

Beta #6

paqao

I have several plays with Beta version of game on my account (I didn't play War and Madness yet).
I understand that this is still work in progress version :) There are my thoughts with last update:

1. Some of thoughts are already described in other beta topics
    1. During first plays I have problems with understanding why I cannot add new Tradition - then I learned that I got tradition per two tenets ... then I got two tenets for reaching 10 development sparks - and that was strange for me
    2. limit of two "God actions" per turn seems ... restricting something in context of previous changes. So it would be nice to see here some information why two, if You could expand it (like number of disciples)
  2. Tenets description
    1. I really like tenet-based development however I still think if my decisions affects gameplay more than just adding faith, resources, happiness and unlocking traditions
    2. Tenets IMO are lack of description. E.g. In Civilization VI each leader have agenda and agenda has small description (likes countries on same continent, dislikes countries on different continents etc). You could add some description how this feature could affects Your further gameplay (e.g. virginity could improve disciple devotion)
  3. Once I got a crystal skull (?) as result of some action and I due to experience with previous game versions I was confused since I cannot find crystal skull count on any screen
  4. Scaling
    1. In my opinion first two islands are easy, the third is a bit more difficult (but i need to learn PATIENCE for success this level)
  5. No assets
    1. When I got "consequences" usually I see some description (like +50 offerings per mission) however I twice (at least) got a "consequence" without description
    2. When I got actions from map rewards they comes without icons
  6. User experience
    1. When You have spare dream point You cannot initiate sacrament ... It would be nice to get feedback why You cannot start sacrament
    2. Maybe it's issue with my machine but sometimes I need to wait to get "Sacrament result" few seconds
I think that I haven't play enough games to talk about balancing game ;) Today I am going to have a Godhood session so I think I would come back with new notes

paqao

Ok,
quick play today :) This is scenario I talk about - when Disciple was inspired by something You got "message" without description.
I have got issues with Lua (red message) each time I used Champion tradition special ability.

What is more, my game crashed few moments later (Capital island, battle at 10 level -> 3rd battle on this island). I send crash report that appears after crash ;)

Attachments

paqao

I cannot edit so I upload screen with happy gift from game to my village :) I think better would be if I will get materials depending on my disciple health.

Attachments

AbbeyAdriaan

Abbey Games Developer
Developer
Abbey Games Developer
hahaha yeah that last one has a bit too much eh? ;)

Thanks for the feedback!
About tenets and their effects: At first I made exactly what you described - we had the same idea about it! Why not make more specific tenet options and show their effects right? Feels more strategic!
But it had a really annoying side-effect: You went skimming over 7+ gameplay effects that were all slightly different and it ended up spoiling your fantasy. You take Civ VI, and it's actually a good example of that same effect. When you create a religion in Civ, you're just picking bonuses. You pick God of the Forge not because you want to have a cool Mountain God, you pick it because you need that production. It works for Civ, but I never feel like my religion is my religion, more a set of bonuses.
So here I tried to turn things around - what if you picked what you like, and see what kind of game or consequences come rolling out of that? It's a different kind of game, but I think it fits the fantasy a bit better!

On the two God Actions and Disciples: I also removed the Disciple upgrade. I've seen the pacing go awkward with more than 6 Disciples, so now you just get 6 of them. The two actions might grow to 3, or they might become stronger. I'm still looking for the best pacing there! The idea behind it is that I want the player's Offering gain to matter the most for getting progress!

Again, thanks for the feedback! :)

paqao

I think it's a bit too much, (I will try to get his tenet in my every run) ;)
I got Your point about descriptions of tenets and it's seem fine right now (so player need to learn what Consequences would bring his decisions).
I agree that now game is more "Offering"-based and with limits of Your good actions, game is more strategic (I would say like in board-game You need to make Your decisions in advance), and my last play was with high usage of Offerings and it was easier than play where I stack Offerings or just don't gather them.

Another idea, Offerings-based upgrades for buildings (like in XP building, please forgive me that i don't remember name of each building ;) ) would make decisions even harder e.g. some kind of tithe upgrade for Offerings income building. Offerings based upgrade for temple. Players would decide if they would use offering to get instant bonus (e.g. faith or fervor) or upgrade a building (but in that case, real results would be visible after several turns).

Wendek

hahaha yeah that last one has a bit too much eh? ;)

Thanks for the feedback!
About tenets and their effects: At first I made exactly what you described - we had the same idea about it! Why not make more specific tenet options and show their effects right? Feels more strategic!
But it had a really annoying side-effect: You went skimming over 7+ gameplay effects that were all slightly different and it ended up spoiling your fantasy. You take Civ VI, and it's actually a good example of that same effect. When you create a religion in Civ, you're just picking bonuses. You pick God of the Forge not because you want to have a cool Mountain God, you pick it because you need that production. It works for Civ, but I never feel like my religion is my religion, more a set of bonuses.
So here I tried to turn things around - what if you picked what you like, and see what kind of game or consequences come rolling out of that? It's a different kind of game, but I think it fits the fantasy a bit better!

Again, thanks for the feedback! :)
I know I'm late to the party since the update has been pushed to Live but I have to say I disagree with the lack of description for tenets. I just started a new game as War, my first two tenets are "Blood Sport" and "Holy Training" with zero description. How am I supposed to decide when it's early game and I have no predetermined plan for where I'm going? As far as I can tell, Godhood is still a strategy game where you're making decisions, and how can I make those decisions if I'm choosing essentially blindly? To me it feels like I may as well flip a coin (or throw a die if there are more than 2 choices), I'll have just as much control over my choice that way.
And if it's just about "a fantasy", why are there difficulty levels? That implies there is some challenge, and thus some amount of player skill involved with the game - you're not spposed to play randomly, yet that's what I feel like I'm doing right now.

Bart

Why not both? Let the player first explore the game, but add information on consecutive playthroughs. The way I would like to see it, in the first playthrough I would not know what the tenets do. However, every time I pick up one, the game would tell me next time what it unlocks. This would actually encourage to choose new paths (without having to remember what I chose before) to see all the game has to offer and eventually strategize for maximum efficiency.

BrunoCPaula

IF Bart's suggestion is not possible, why not a Tenet/Tradition menu on the main menu that reveals all unlocked tenet and tradidions? They start all blacked out but each time you pick one in a playthrough (or every time you finish a run with it) it opens up on the menu allowing you to review its effects.