What's new

Beta: Old One Rising

manuel

Abbey Games Developer
Developer
Greetings Devoted Cultists,

It's almost time for a tentacled god of your choice to reach the surface of Godhood's world. For you, those most close to the altar of development, there is a chance to descend into the depths of madness just a few days earlier than everyone else. That's right, by virtue of finding this post, you'll get a sneak peek into Major Update #2: The Old One Rising. We're releasing this beta to see how the new content lands, and whether everything is as stable as we think it is.

The Old One Rising update launches on September 4th.
That's when you can expect to play a polished version of the current beta.

The 'Will of the People' update focused on the core mechanics of the game. While we're continuing to rework and introduce new systems, for this update we decided to focus on fresh content. You will find a whole new commandment including the new Cultist Class, a new Madness temple, another new building and two dark relics. We introduce the Harbinger class as well, which you can always pick. You'll also find a bunch of extra god customizations and dedications to express your personal flavor of doom. This update is an important part of reaching our Kickstarter goals.

On Monday, September 2 and Tuesday, September 4 we'll reveal and discuss the blanks. On Wednesday we'll stream the new version, going in-depth on the new Madness commandment. Release Stream September 4, 7PM CEST / 11AM PDT
How to play the beta?
Switch to the beta channel using Steam or GOG Galaxy using the password: 'ImHereToHelp'

What to focus on
We're interested in your experience of the new content. So please play the Madness commandment, either as primary or as secondary choice, and answer these questions to help us:
  • How do you like the individual pieces of new content? The classes, the buildings, etc.
  • Is it clear what the new content does?
  • How does the new content interplay with existing content?
  • In general, what does this update do for you?
This beta should also be more polished than the previous one so we'd like to know about:
  • Crashes
  • Bugs
  • Missing visuals
  • Balance issues
We'll address most balance, mechanical and QoL issues in later updates, but if you think there are some cheap wins in the current version, let us know.

What NOT to focus on
  • Language issues (the translations and corrected English will release with the update on Wednesday)
Recording your playthrough
Please consider installing OBS, XSplit or some other recording software to record your playthrough (especially your first) and send it to us at info@abbeygames.com. It is not necessary to film yourself as well, but an audio recording of you thinking out loud always helps.

Alright, rise and shine, young gods! We're looking forward to your comments.
And don't forget the Release Stream September 4, 7PM CEST / 11AM PDT

Blackvision

Kickstarter Backer Community Member for 2 years
Issue 1 = on GoG there is no madness commandment, only the other 4 (and 2 locked) as before. Beta mode is enabled,. I've got the revealed Madness picture on the main menu and running version 0.13.20.

Blackvision

Reinstalled the beta, then the full game. There is never any option to pick madness as your first commandment. I can *hear* the selection sound for a button between the top four commandments, but it doesn't do anything other than make the sound once when you click there (and there's definitely nothing showing)

Last edited:

RVWinkle

Kickstarter Backer - Elder
It's working for me on Steam and I went ahead and captured my first 45 minutes for you. The biggest difference I noticed is that the temple doesn't have any upgrades and you can't place a statue. These changes seem like a smart way to make the early game easier because those resources can be spent elsewhere.

There's a couple of minor issues that have persisted from the previous version.
  • Minor text formatting issues with word wrap.
  • UI not refreshing when you click 'pick class' after training. You need to mouse over to make the text go away and the character remains highlighted.
  • When you're assigning tasks, you have to cancel a task and then click the assign button again before assigning the task.
Overall it seems great so far and Madness makes darkness extremely powerful with the extra crit and damage bonuses.

RVWinkle

I think I've decided that I don't like the cultist. They basically make the first island trivial and then become unusable by the end. Because Unchained Madness makes your team's attacks dark, you lose the ability to strategically counter other elements. This becomes pretty important against the light element and it counts as a feeble action which means Weavers will counter your every attack for two rounds. Unchained Madness is great for Acolytes but once your disciples level up a few times and you start spending sun stones, it becomes a hindrance.

To summarize, I think that Cultists should be avoided when you're going against Light or Dark elements, when you're trying to counter specific elements, or if your disciples are high level. With that said, it may be interesting to use all dark elements for the entire game but I'm not sure how effective that would be.

RVWinkle

I was playing some more tonight and I was thinking about manuel's question about content clarity and I don't think it's clear what Unchained Madness does. I can tell from the UI that it's a physical dark attack but I don't think the damage range is exposed and I'm unclear as to what stat it's based on. Along the same lines, disciple's morale shows the bonuses but there was nothing to indicate why it's low.

manuel

Abbey Games Developer
Developer
Thanks for the feedback RVWinkle, I'll discuss the Unchained mechanic with design.

Along the same lines, disciple's morale shows the bonuses but there was nothing to indicate why it's low.
Which point in the game are you talking about here? Perhaps we can clarify the UI there.

Issue 1 = on GoG there is no madness commandment, only the other 4 (and 2 locked) as before. Beta mode is enabled,. I've got the revealed Madness picture on the main menu and running version 0.13.20.
I think Madness is not up on GOG yet. I'll make sure it will go up today.

Blackvision

Madness now working on GoG, confirmed.

First impressions: You're trying to justify Guardians existing? ;)

Cultists/Madness: Interesting passive, but given that it never upgrades, it's terrible - it's only on par with everyone's basic attacks before the buffs. Great on acolytes, but you gave us Study, so... who uses acolytes? Their other abilities: a cunning debuff is kinda moot given that they're already dark. Dark > Nature. Only classes Cunning matters for? Beastmasters (Nature) and Songsmiths (in theory, never actually seen a reason to go Cunning on them when charisma is so much better) who are Dark-resistant and will laugh it off anyway. Eg. Don't bother with that ability/train it off as soon as humanly possible.

The Dark Morale stuff on Cultists feels a bit counter-intuitive alongside their passives: do you want them going physical or morale? You could potentially have only one in a team, granted, but- ultimately they're a detriment to a trained team. I'm not against the moves they have themselves, just... doesn't match up, and zero synergy with any other classes (and again, like I said with Chastity - any Commandment too focused on a single element is always going to be inferior as a main commandment. Secondary? Great. But main? No. And unlike Chastity, the lead-class doesn't make up for it. As it stands, I'd only want Madness as a Secondary to War, and wouldn't use Cultists for it either.

As an alternative - maybe for their level 4 passive choice, something like either decreasing their passive so it only overrides 1 slot OR significantly increases the power of Unchained Madness attacks (possibly reducing the buff on other physical attacks). Then you choose if you're going for the buff on other attacks or the chance of getting a powerful hit from it.

Another alternative for making the passive more interesting would be to have the ally's damage scale off the Cultist's Charisma/Wisdom so that as the Cultist levels up, the attacks grow alongside them, letting them keep pace with levels at the expense of potentially overriding good other abilities on your other classes.

Finally, I'd love it if they were designed to only function well with other Cultists, like the more you have, the better, cause they all buff each other, etc - then you might have one cultist team and one mainline team for anti-light or something when the cultists hit a wall - that's the main way I could see the current system working, but without it, I'd never want a Cultist on my team for the long-term except for novelty value :p

(Also Corrupt Vision's "Lesser" damage is way more than their basic attack. Perhaps a change of phrasing?)

That said, their design is fantastic, as is the Harbinger's, and I'm glad to see another Dark mainline class in the Harbinger. I do feel there should be at least one physical attack option for a second mainline dark Element class though (maybe scaling with Health?) - not to mention one wielding a massive scythe! Otherwise the only physical dark attacks are Executioners (I'm not justifying Cultist-given attacks as class-attacks, and they're commandment-specific). That said, I do very much like the theme of threat and danger that the Harbingers give using Morale attacks - I'd just want a physical option somewhere, even if only as 1 of their 3 attacks.

As for the Madness crit buff on Darkness, see my comment on one element again :p If it were just a straight +crit chance (although lower or for physical/morale/some other non-element-specific thing) I'd be all for it. I'd love to get some crit-chaining teams going, and Madness seems a fun way to embrace that chaos ;) Can't just be Dark though - Songsmiths are meant to be hot for Crits, as are Beastmasters - you're denying them all the fun!

Other issues:

Enemy using Entangle didn't target across. Granted, he hit the target across, but it didn't look like he wanted to :p

> The 'Perform Miracle' request still screws you over - when the debuff gets high enough, you can't ever get a wondrous miracle (which otherwise, you can everytime) and because they need to do sacraments before they can even miracle, it's going to be a high debuff. I actually find it more productive to simply junk the disciple getting it immediately than try to complete it most of the time.

Last edited:

Guillermo

Abbey Games Developer
Developer
Hi Blackvision, thanks for the feedback ! We'll definitly take it into account

Could you clarify these statements please ? Just wanting to make sure we're talking about the same thing :
(Also Corrupt Vision's "Lesser" damage is way more than their basic attack. Perhaps a change of phrasing?)
Corrupt Vision has inferior base damage compared to Babble (it scales better though). Are you talking about Words of Madness? We'll work on Corrupt Vision and on the impact of ⚡ Cunning in general so this ability might end up being quite different as it currently is.

I do feel there should be at least one physical attack option for a second mainline dark Element class though (maybe scaling with Health?)
The Harbinger has 2 physical abilities scaling on health (Mortify & Shatter). He's a mixed damage dealer - like the Cultist - although he's more focused on 💪 physical abilities. Perhaps there's a missing description ?

Blackvision

Nope, I just meant the wording for Corrupt Vision - even from a level 2 Cultist, Corrupt always did more damage - the 3/2.5:1 compared to 5:1 is just too big a difference to be able to call it 'lesser'.

Harbinger - ah, Shatter I see it's got as physical, but Mortify is a bit ambiguous:

It says 'physical', but the damage displays morale.

(Am very happy with those as physical, btw) :)

Could totally get behind the Temple of Madness's eye following your cursor if you click on it like Earl's eyes did too ;)

Last edited:

Blackvision

My Eyeball became a Yolk!

Not sure of the cause. Think it was examining other buildings? Examining the Temple itself didn't do anything, and waiting about didn't solve it, but sacramenting/reloading did.

Blackvision

Also glitches with the outline UI when hovering buildings:

(this applies to all buildings, not just the temple. Was also the case before, but thought I'd mention it just in case it wasn't on the to-do list)

RVWinkle

I didn't want to mention the new ritual until it was announced today but I really like the graphical design. I think it's really good at making ubermench for the two hardest battles but I'm not sure I would use it in any other situation and you probably don't want to use it more than twice on a disciple. I'm kinda going back and forth because the old age penalty is pretty small and it only subtracts something like 1-3 points.

Which point in the game are you talking about here? Perhaps we can clarify the UI there.
I couldn't find a good screenshot to demonstrate but the Faith tab shows bonuses for your various actions. I had a dismal character and they didn't have as many bonuses but there was nothing to indicate that it was because they hadn't been in a sacrament or whatever. I know some things cause penalties to show up in the Faith tab but sometimes there's just a lack of bonuses and it's not immediately clear how to fix it.

Last edited:

MasterMeus

I really liked the new cultist class.

It definitely limits your team compositions, but if you stay within your strengths it has huge damage output.
Using a Chieftain is great because the Unchained Madness is Violent. Using a Smitesword is a decent defense versus Weavers since you will retaliate against their passive strike. Ultimately you want to remain within the dark classes to benefit from 100% Critical Chance. The Harbinger is a great addition! Previously, I was not happy that Dark did not have a physical class outside War Commandment. The Weaver is still very low impact in my opinion, and with a Cultist the Charisma/Morale class is likely to attack with a Might/Physical strike.
Tossing the Cultist aside and bringing two Weavers with a Harbinger is a great way to utilize the Madness buff.