What's new

Beta: Will of the People

Tygoth

Ah, I was about 2 days off level 10 on the first island too, I kinda expected there to be more god levels what with all the other changes up to level 10 :p
It used to trigger at level 10, but there are more levels in the beta now.
I meant level 16, the new single last god level, which triggers the god level victory

Blackvision

Kickstarter Backer Community Member for 2 years
Ah, fair enough then. I'll finish up that run later then, and actually try recording a playthrough on another commandment and see if my computer can handle OBS.

TailBit

Did a "Chasity -> Sacrifice -> War" run on default difficulty.

You now have to sanctify resources by bringing them as Tribute to the sacrament.
This fixed a problem I had with the game .. when you got the ability to upgrade buildings, then I would stop the map progression and just focus on upgrading ALL of them for a few turns .. this put an effective stop to that, which I'm very happy about.

Your followers have a strong opinion on when you need to go the sacrament. How does this impact your enjoyment of the game?
In short, I felt it necessary to head to the map when it started getting to orange .. only got to red once on the default difficulty I was playing on.

Resource gathering rituals are automatically repeated every day.
Good, still with I could just click the character and where he should go ..

We've added a lot more rituals and made the buildings smaller. How does expanding your temple complex now feel? Are the new rituals interesting to use?
Yay, more 2x1 buildings I can put on top of eachother xD .. ehem:
- I did enjoy that they had slower healing, so you actually had to cure them at places ..
- Did notice that some miracle buildings was no longer accessible before I had chosen a 2nd religious path, so I don't have the most optimal miracles for many classes, that combined with that they no longer can be upgraded more then once at each miracle (unless they just have to take another every 2nd time .. need to fiddle more with it), it does make some more interesting and perhaps more balanced disciples?
- I was hoping that the bath would be a place to give more then 1 person a weak heal, but it was quite like the other place that gave 80% hp back.
- Did not feel it necessary to use the stat buff rituals yet, but I will do hardest difficulty and see if I have to change my mind.

Summary of first run:
- I had a lot slower phase then I used to, but it could be because I was stopped by the green on both sides of the old city a bit .. I already had the 2nd batch of disciples ready before I could see the permanent upgrade spots on the map ..
- My God upgraded to his final level after defeating the Old city, so kinda an early stop, I need to slow down my people production :p
- Harder to know what stats the miracles gives now

Rutger

Abbey Games Developer
Developer
Beta build has been updated:
- Removed repeatable node: in desperate times, you can get XP through a ritual in the village
- Changed final island to be less Nature focused
- Difficulty settings now scale the stats and HP of enemies, not the time limits
- Added preview images for build mode
- God Levels now give unlocks over a longer period of time
- New building list on right side of the screen in village
- You no longer win by reaching the maximum God Level
- Removed the Attraction mechanic from Lust
- Commandment General Buffs rebalanced:
> War : All Physical Attacks 50% chance to deal +10% dmg.
> Peace : All Morale Attacks 50% chance to deal +10% dmg.
> Chastity : +25% AP if Life or Divine disciple on team.
> Lust : All Morale Attacks 10% chance to inflict 'Infatuated' debuff

Blackvision

25% AP being,,,?

Otherwise sounds good, though I'm cautious about the War/Peace buffs. Also can't see a time when you'd ever not want Lust with a Peace team. (or vice versa) Still, will playtest.

Rutger

Abbey Games Developer
Developer
Beta build has again been updated to 0.13.10-beta.1. The biggest thing is that we reintroduced the assignment limit for Disciples to address some balancing issues in the late game. We're really interested in how you experience playing the game overall with the limit on vs with the limit off!

Other changes:
- General balancing
- Made winning and losing a bit nicer
- Level progression no longer overrides Sky Shard ability choices
- Tweaked the way Prayers are distributed so they feel a bit more fair
- Fixed commandment specific classes showing up in a next game with a different commandment
- Removed narcoleptic
- Fixed temporary passives gained in certain Rituals not being removed
- You can now pick a class for Acolytes that level up through the XP Ritual
- Fixed getting stuck in the Initiation sometimes because of point restrictions

RVWinkle

Kickstarter Backer - Elder
I feel like the assignment limit is a way to intentionally slow down the gameplay progression which doesn't seem very fun. Would it be a viable alternative to scale up costs for the end game? To be fair, I haven't spent enough time in this round of betas to make an accurate assessment.

RickSo

Abbey Games Developer
Developer
Abbey Games Developer
It's not to slow down progress, no.
Rather, it is that tying the amount of disciples to the effectiveness of your economy brings a lot of issues into the game design.

I started writing all those issues here, but honestly it's too big a subject and too deep a rabbit hole to get into haha.

We're experimenting with the mechanic and are really curious how you feel about both versions! If you could share that'd be rad. Thanks!

Reiteration6

Having played the beta a little now, I have a few initial thoughts to share:

Study
I love this building. It always seemed odd to me that there was a random pocket of people on each island who never gave in to your religion no matter how many times you won sacraments, but without having this building, there wasn't really much that could be done about that, as obviously you need a way to level-up your disciples who're too weak to be of use in proper sacraments (acolytes especially). This provides that in a way that makes narrative sense, so I'm a big fan of it.

Enthusiasm (Pacing)
Something I'm not so keen on, unfortunately. I like the concept of Enthusiasm, but as a result of the perma-enemies being removed, being forced to regularly attempt sacraments often results in you being given crippling debuffs repeatedly, if your disciples aren't strong enough to win all the time. And it doesn't help that the Gardens take 2 turns to heal a single disciple and the Communing Grounds take 3 days to remove a debuff from one. It can make it difficult (or even impossible) to recover from losses in time for the next sacrament.

Even if you're playing on easy mode, though, and sacraments are almost guaranteed wins, I'm still not overly fond of the way this works, as it feels like the player has very little control over the pacing of the game. You either fight when the game tells you to, or you suffer massive debuffs.

The thing is, even without Enthusiasm, you'd still be fighting fairly regularly, as you would reach the resource cap and would then presumably want to acquire your resources. So all this really does, IMO, is force you to fight before you're ready and/or give you debuffs.

It is quite nice that fighting at the right time helps alleviate the massive advantage in AP which the enemies often have, but this could also be achieved by just not giving them a massive advantage in AP in the first place.

No Repeat Rituals
Ouch. Easily my least favourite thing about the beta. My playstyle in the main game is usually just to focus on Ascetics (until I reach the final island, because nature) and make them go to the Tavern for every miracle, partly because I like tanky characters and want to make my disciples have the maximum possible amount of durability, but also just because I find it funny to think of a bunch of prudish priests going out and getting drunk all the time. Is that immature? Probably. But still, it's what I like doing, and in the beta I can't do it. Between this and the previous point, I just feel like the player has a lot less freedom in the beta than in the main build.

Oh, and on the subject of the Tavern, both it and the Hunting Grounds (I think that was the name - the Cunning Miracle Building) were missing from the game I've just been playing in the beta. I dunno if that's a bug or intentional, but if the latter, I don't really see the point in removing those.

RVWinkle

Kickstarter Backer - Elder
Is it intended that you don't always have all of the ritual sites available? I noticed in my Chastity run that I didn't have the Hunter's Lodge. This time I picked the War commandment and I did have the Hunter's Lodge but this time I was missing the Market.

RickSo

Abbey Games Developer
Developer
Abbey Games Developer
Is it intended that you don't always have all of the ritual sites available?
Yup, each Commandment unlocks a couple of Miracles! You unlock the ones you're missing later in the game (when you pick your second Commandment)

Blackvision

Yup, each Commandment unlocks a couple of Miracles! You unlock the ones you're missing later in the game (when you pick your second Commandment)
I like the idea of this on paper, but the problem with that approach is that it doesn't let you actually use half the classes properly: you can't experiment with how, for example, a Peace run might go with a Beastwalker: you could tune them to only use non-violent abilities, but without the might/cunning options, they're dead in the water - and when it comes to the Tavern/Market, any commandment without them has a vicious disadvantage: no Skystones and no Spirit-buffs.

Rutger

Abbey Games Developer
Developer
Beta build has been updated to 0.13.13-beta.1.

Changes:
- Made mid/late game islands slightly easier to mitigate the difficulty spike
- You now gain additional assignments on certain god levels
- Miracles are repeatable again
- Fixed missing icons in god level up rewards
- Fixed opponent HP trigger abilities happening according to your HP
- Evade/defy no longer trigger On Hit abilities
- Fixed bug in placement of 2x1 buildings
- Removed attraction feedback
- Fixed edge cases in Sky Shard / Ability gain mechanic
- Fixed a whole bunch of missing icons for rituals

Last edited:

Reiteration6

Looks good. I love the additional assignment slots, and on hit stuff like stuns going through even when the attack was dodged never made sense to me, so I'm glad you guys decided to do away with that.

I was just playing a little bit of a game on normal difficulty to see what the changes were like, but didn't get far enough in the time I had to really see how much easier the later islands were. The one I reached (the divine attribute one) seemed fine, but then, I was playing a Lust commandment game with 3 Songsmiths as my team, so almost none of my sacraments ever lasted past my first turn, making it pretty hard to judge their strength (in hindsight, that lineup may not have been the best for judging difficulty).

On a related note, though, the tooltip for the Lust commandment passive says it triggers 10% of the time, but I feel like it might be more like 100%.