What's new

Beta: Will of the People

RVWinkle

Kickstarter Backer - Elder
The new patch looks great! I only spent about 30 minutes playing Chastity in easy mode but here's a couple of things I noticed.

• It looks like this sacrament has the materials icon when it should be the offerings icon.

• My founder was granting bonus materials resources at the end of each turn as if he had that bonus materials relic equipped. I don't know if it's intended but it was nice. I couldn't find any indicators on the screen or the character sheet that shows they gain bonus materials.
  • I didn't have time to try it but the age indicator said that disciples retire at 45?
  • I guess the Chastity bonus wasn't working at all previously and now it's changed to a healing buff? The bonuses should probably be shown on the initial commandment selection screen.
  • Easy difficulty offers zero challenge and I was able to defeat the elders in less than 15 minutes! The difference between this and my last two Classic runs is probably a bit drastic.

Reiteration6

• Easy difficulty offers zero challenge and I was able to defeat the elders in less than 15 minutes! The difference between this and my last two Classic runs is probably a bit drastic.
Well, to be fair, it is called "easy" difficulty. And there is another difficulty level in between the two to bridge the gap, so it's not like people who've only ever played on easy are forced to jump straight from that to classic.

I am surprised that the first island could be cleared so quickly, though, even on that difficulty setting. Did you rush sacraments without waiting for the followers to get enthusiastic?

Rutger

Abbey Games Developer
Developer
Thanks for the feedback!

It looks like this sacrament has the materials icon when it should be the offerings icon.
That's actually correct, although I see why it might be confusing: the icon with an 'x' next to it indicates a multiplier (see the bottom part of the tribute)

I couldn't find any indicators on the screen or the character sheet that shows they gain bonus materials.
There are a few Totems that give bonus resources. Not very well feedbacked indeed ;)

Blackvision

Kickstarter Backer Community Member for 2 years
I'm not against using the building images for the rituals, but could we have an indicator/tiny icon of resources/effects in symbols with them or something? Looking at 5 different images of buildings in the sidebar does not tell me which one gets me followers, which one gets me offerings and which one is healing - meaning I have to triple check all my disciples every time I'm there.

Last edited:

Blackvision

Oh, and any chance of getting an indicator of the difficulty on-screen for sacraments/village screen? Screenshot wow-factor :p

Blackvision

Another UI thing - something get your attention if you haven't assigned all your inspirations - maybe if the 4/4 over jobs would pulse or something? Nothing major and there's times you just want to ignore it (like before a sacrament), but just enough to catch the eye would be lovely now that the amount of disciples you can inspire changes throughout.

straylight

I noticed the repeatable nodes are gone in this build (for example the repeatable node on the first island that I used to use to get new disciples to the point where they chose a class). So then if I want to level up disciples that I get later in the game I just have to throw them at fights I know they have much slimmer chances to win?

Reiteration6

if I want to level up disciples that I get later in the game I just have to throw them at fights I know they have much slimmer chances to win?
In theory you can use the Study to give them XP to level them up, but in practice this is sometimes impractical, as it costs offerings and uses up an assignment slot. It also doesn't help that it requires more XP to level up in the beta than in the main build. When I played the main one I had no trouble getting multiple groups of disciples to max level during a game, whereas in the beta I'll be lucky to get a single disciple there by the end of the game.

I usually just use the Study to level up acolytes to the point where they can get a proper class.

straylight

Sorry, I think I confused the main game with a beta, given its state and my lack of knowledge regarding names of early access games versions. My comment referred to the main game.

Reiteration6

Oh, right. I forgot Will of the People was going live in the main build already.

What I should have said was "in the current build" and "in the previous build", instead of "in the beta" and "in the main build".

Basically, now that Will of the People has been released, you should be able to build a new building called the Study, which grants a little bit of XP to each disciple assigned to it, and costs 10 offerings per use.

Instead of using repeatable nodes, that's now what you'll need to use to level your new disciples at later stages of the game.

straylight

Offerings need to be earned, either from the tribute by wining or losing, either from sending disciples to the outer regions (basically dismissing them). Dismissing feels very counterintuitive and unflavourful - these have been characters that helped me conquer my entire first island, the first people who believed in my religion. It's also not telegraphed very clearly that dismissing/sending to the outer regions is an actual option. Just the lightning bolt icon.

My situation was that I reached the final battles on Patecatl's and Itzla's islands with old and sad disciples that weren't appropriate for the specific rock-paper-scissors set-up of those battles. But I needed offerings to train new - adequate - disciples. Building up enough offerings in the tribute pool to justify even a loss at 75% just screwed over the enthusiasm and faith even more. Basically the game pinned me to the floor and wasn't offering me any clear path to get myself back on my feet.

If it's a design choice to encounter this sort of stumbling block then fine. Religions face crisis moments in their development where the old guard needs to go out in order to make room for the fresh blood. But it needs to be dressed in a better draping to make the actual choice feel meaningful, in my opinion, not just trashing a toon to get some resources. Like an event to portray a reformation or such.

Rutger

Abbey Games Developer
Developer
Offerings need to be earned, either from the tribute by wining or losing, either from sending disciples to the outer regions (basically dismissing them). Dismissing feels very counterintuitive and unflavourful - these have been characters that helped me conquer my entire first island, the first people who believed in my religion. It's also not telegraphed very clearly that dismissing/sending to the outer regions is an actual option. Just the lightning bolt icon.

My situation was that I reached the final battles on Patecatl's and Itzla's islands with old and sad disciples that weren't appropriate for the specific rock-paper-scissors set-up of those battles. But I needed offerings to train new - adequate - disciples. Building up enough offerings in the tribute pool to justify even a loss at 75% just screwed over the enthusiasm and faith even more. Basically the game pinned me to the floor and wasn't offering me any clear path to get myself back on my feet.

If it's a design choice to encounter this sort of stumbling block then fine. Religions face crisis moments in their development where the old guard needs to go out in order to make room for the fresh blood. But it needs to be dressed in a better draping to make the actual choice feel meaningful, in my opinion, not just trashing a toon to get some resources. Like an event to portray a reformation or such.
We're actually looking at the game loop and how difficulty works on the world map. It's a bit more long term (think a few months), but it's definitely in the works :)

straylight

Thanks Rutger. I know it's a balance issue that takes a while to sort out, but my main point is that regardless what balance you choose to implement, in my opinion it should be coated in appropriate flavour for a religion-themed game :)

MasterMeus

I did not play prior to this update, so I cannot comment on 'improvements.'

I can say that I absolutely loved my first two play throughs. Sorry, I did not record my first for you.

Round one had a learning curve, chose Peace and Lust. My Songsmith character was a monster. Alongside a Druid and Prophet I had great defenses and pumped all my sunstones into the Songsmith. The early game had some learning curves as I fought with staying healthy and frequently had faith drop to Normal, but the tribute mechanic and relatively easy recovery between fights made for a fun campaign. I lost maybe four or five combats. The Weaver had very little impact and felt lack-luster.

Round two was a joke. Chose War and Lust. My Smitesword was a one-man army. With more than 100 hp and dealing 50+ damage against Ancestrals, I walked through this campaign like a god among ants. I learned that tribute gains (actions) took place after combat as long as the assigned disciples did not take part in the combat. Meaning four gathering actions between each fight. This allowed much more resources to be gained, and I spent dozens of actions on Study (XP gain). It was much simpler to mitigate the aging effects and my third recruitment I took a purple Smitesword (stayed young for the rest of the game). Early combats relied on Executioners, Guardians, and Chieftains. Once I got two miracles under my Smitesword I brought in a Songsmith (for Life passive-trigger [totem], and AoE Lust debuff), and a Weaver (for Dark passive-trigger [miracle 4]). My Smitesword with a power of 23 (Might 42) and 131 hp, finished the final combat of the campaign with a single strike for 155 damage (Enemy only had 130 Awe).

I would love to keep playing and provide input for the game, but it is way too simple at the moment. Another campaign would be a mindless grind.I discovered the Lust Priest as a new class, but it was so close to the end of the campaign that I did not have time to explore it. I look forward to more features though, I will be back.

MasterMeus

I just noticed the difficulty slider. The above campaigns were Classic. Soon I will definitely give it one more attempt on Impossible!