What's new

Challenge #146: Quest For The Holy Grail

Rutger

Abbey Games Developer
Developer
Concept: AbbeyAdriaan
Story: Noctua Spell
Contributions from: BlackVision, Noctua Spell, FlameStalker, Liort, Pistax

Tagline : Reach the Ultimate Treasure! We will raffle 5 copies of Indiana Jones and The Fate of Atlantis and 5 copies of Curious Expedition between all participants!

Want to win a copy of Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis or a copy of The Curious Expedition? We'll be giving away 5 copies of each between all participants this week! Don't forget to submit either your Discord username or your Abbey Games forums username so we can contact you!

Story:
“A Holy Grail, was it?” Yvonne reconfirmed as they walked through some crowded streets in the Middle East. A somewhat shady looking hooded man tried to approach a bit too closely and Yvonne cracked her whip at him threateningly. He scurried off and Yvonne looked back at Maria on her left, who seemed to still be thinking about the daring clothing of the belly dancers in the square they just passed. She wondered how a certain Russian man would look at her if she were to try her hand at it.
Yvonne sighed exasperatedly and turned to Victor on her right. He raised an eyebrow at her.
“What?”
“How come you’re not off to la-la-wonderland?” Victor proudly raised his chin: “I am very happily married mon cher.”
“Of course you are.”
“But to your original question: Oui. We are indeed looking for a Holy Grail.”
“A grail. Not the?” Yvonne asked taken aback. Maria had finally determined that she was not going to change her fashion style and added her two cents to the discussion.(edited)
“There are quite some mentions of holy grails, Yvonne. Arthurian literature is likely the most prominent source, but the word grail itself is derived from French. Holy grails also come in all kinds of forms!”
Yvonne hummed in response.
“Correct me if I am wrong, oh, knowledgeable archaeologist, but those do not sound particularly Middle Eastern to me.” Maria shrugged and Victor thoughtfully adjusted his moustache.
“Pinkerton did send us here for a reason. In fact, he insisted that our party made an excellent combination of whip-wielding archaeological diplomatic explorers.” Victor remarked. Maria was pointing sceptically at Yvonne after the diplomatic comment as the aforementioned lady abruptly stopped walking after spotting a familiar outfit.
“What’s wrong, Yvonne?” Victor asked, concerned. Yvonne quickly started walking again and murmured:
“The Anti-Explorers are here. Old man Pinkerton is definitely on to something. We’ve done enough dawdling around. We can’t afford to be defeated by those losers. Let’s get off the main street and nab that Holy Grail.”

Rules:
  • Your team must consist of Yvonne, Maria and Victor
  • Yvonne must be captain
  • You must visit Hungarian Fort
  • You must visit the Holy Lands
  • You must play on Adventure mode.
Scoring:
Your score is your renown:
  • BRONZE: 3000 renown (1MP*)
  • SILVER: 8000 renown (2MP*)
  • GOLD: 13000 (3MP*)
  • PLATINUM: Three highest scores above 13000 (3MP+**)
* Number of medal points awarded when playing on Classic Difficulty. Easy and Normal give less, according to these rules.
Gold and Platinum medals may only be achieved without losing, though Silver and Bronze are still possible to get with just the Record sheet for that trip.
** The platinum medal is extraordinary and can only be achieved on Classic or Impossible difficulty without losing. It doesn't increase Medal Points further than a Gold medal, but we will track how many you have.

How to participate
You can participate with a highscore, a story or both.

Stories
Write a story. Use the Challenge theme as an inspiration by looking at the constraints. Find other stories in the Fan Story directory or by looking at previous challenges.
Post your story in a new topic in these forums.
Also link to it to this thread with a comment: Include the first paragraph/few lines of your story in the post here to show readers what your story is about.

Highscores
Play the game according to the challenge rules and in Adventure mode.
Post in this topic a screenshot of your Win Screen*, right after the ceremony or your Leaderboard record.* Also include a text version of your score with the submission to allow for error checking.
Submit by 12:00 noon CET, 20/12/18 (Or 12/20/18 for those using MM/DD/YY)
(click here for your local time equivalent )
NOTE: Only one score will be accepted - only one submission for each player please. If you wish to enter a new score, please edit your initial entry and make it clear which score you are submitting, and add the word "EditGreenlight" to the entry so we can see immediately when the result needs updating.
*If you forget to screenshot the Win screen, you can also enter with a screenshot of your Leaderboards: Go to Main Menu > Leaderboards > Local > click the entry that matches your submission game > screenshot those details.

Game Version
Must be Build 516 or later

Story ideas
Why doesn't Yvonne like snakes?

For the previous challenge - Challenge #145 - click here

Last edited:

Tularius

Hey everyone! Been a while since I've done one of these, but here's my submission for Challenge 146. Final score was 3969. Not great, but the new expedition is HAAARD and I am bad :p

Can't wait to see everyone else's!

Attachments

Noahriffic

Here's my submission for challenge 146. I thought I'd done really well and then I saw the score requirements, and now I'm sad, but here's my score regardless: 5572
20181215001728_1.jpg

Rutger

Abbey Games Developer
Developer
Hey all! Hope you all enjoyed your little romp in the Middle East. Welcome to a whole bunch of new people, and welcome back to some returning explorers!

Results
(for complete results table, see here)

FraggleJock once again reaches the highest renown chasing that ultimate treasure, the Holy Grail. Honorable mention to bethany.hopkins who was just beaten for platinum by SigSig.

Attitudes and Resources
I could post a complete breakdown of these, but it's all pretty simple: everyone finished their runs Deviously with Status as their main resource. So mean!

Stories
bethany.hopkins wrote a lovely story inspired by this week's challenge!

Raffle
I have sent out keys/redemption pages to everyone who won the raffle through the Abbey Forums or Discord. Congratulations to the winners!

The next Community Challenge will be created by our lovely community (you know, you!) once again. I've heard some rumors about festivities and jolly captains, so should be fun! See you next time!

Ullissen

Community Member for 2 years
Pardon my asking, but how on Earth do you manage such a high score?
Sorry for only responding now, i didn't have time for it at the time and I forgot about it during the holidays.

Its mostly a combination of game knowledge, planning and patience...and using some (mild) exploits (alt+f4 and menu resets) to speed things up. A lot of things in the game aren't as random as they might seem at first, and you can chain bonuses together to great effect as long you're persistent or lucky enough to get all the Treasure bonuses and Storycards you wanted to line up together.

As for what I did with Yvonne, here's a general rundown. Yvonne is great at getting more and more campaign tokens from encounters, so getting as many things that either give you even more tokens that way, or improve those tokens is generally the best with her.

So I started Celtic Code and went for the Claw, as that gives even more tokens from Devious Encounters. I made sure to get the Campaign tokens as that's the way to really get it rolling. I played Maria's Storycard first for the extra Encounter token from devious encounters on top of that.

For research you in general want to get Observations, Psychology and History as those will give you the biggest boost to renown gained from status. I went for History first (spending insight in Berlin to finish it before 2nd expedition) as I find that more fun (Observations first is better in most cases) and I wanted the supplies as the Holy Land was still completely new to me so i wanted as many supplies as possible.
I think i bought one student, 2 lobbyists (+ the free one from history after that), Lady Vaduva (for even more campaign from encounter) and Dr Ellegard for Maria before going to Hungary

While Hungary isn't the best for the amount of encounters, I wanted the Secretorum to add even more stuff to my gains per fight for later. and in general its a good place for status crews, I played Yvonne's Story card this expedition.
Andes has many encounters so I could get a lot of stuff from them there, as I was hoping for the Necromancer was there and Yvonne was a good enough Rogue with a tool to get through there, with the Sacred Dagger adding even more to my encounters. I think I played Secret Report this expedition.
Transylvania is usually really important for status crews, as you can get two 25% renown from status bonuses there, I got one of them. I played Tactical Insight this expedition and had Victor spend the Insight, mostly in Kyoto I think.
For other mayor treasure bonuses i went for the generic bonuses that improve my tokens.

The Holy Land was for the challenge, I had heard which perks were important from other community members and tried a quick test run before doing my challenge run so I knew somewhat what to expect.

Well that should give the general idea of how we get such high scores. Min-Maxing the game like this is not for everyone, so dont feel discouraged by our scores if its not your thing. There are more tricks and techniques as well, and I'm not even that good at high scoring compared to some others in the community. If you have other questions I recommend the community Discord, but here on the forum is fine as well.

Last edited: