Challenge #150: Divine Calling

Challenge #150: Divine Calling
Concept: Flamestalker
Story: Pikminenco
Contributions from: Pistax, Noctua Spell, Liort

Tagline : Charles and Kiwi are gathering funds to support the Godhood Project and become gods, is this your calling too?

Story:
Charles is impatiently tapping his foot in the society's lab. He got to the lab on request of Phillipe to witness some great feast of science and engineering. However the only thing he is seeing right now is Phillipe and Anna turning some bolts on a large hunk of metal.
''I am a busy man you know? Is this thing done any time soon so I can go back to writing my next letter to the queen'' he asks. Phillipe stands up and stretches his back.
''Patience my friend. We are nearly done. All we have to do is turn it around and power it up.'' He grabs a handle on one side while Anna grabs the other. They both push and turn around the large heap of metal to reveal that it was actually a new experiment made by the two of them. Charles sees a large, half build metal dome with several levers and buttons inside it. In the middle of the dome is a chair, with a small support for someone's head in front of it. From the support is a set of tubes to that seem to go into the machine.
''I doubt this is going to be the hot new trend for interior design.'' Charles says snarkily. Anna pats the machine.
''Function over form they always say. This machine will change our lives forever!'' she says.
''And how is it going to do that exactly?'' Charles asks. Phillipe walks towards the chair, Charles joins aswell.
''You see this chair here? If you sit on it and look through the tubes you will be able to see the future! Power it on Anna!'' Phillipe says. Anna turns on the power. The entire machine starts shaking and electrical surges spread through the machine. Some bolts burst out of the machine after a short while. Finally the machine is stable. With a large smile on his face Phillipe invites Charles to sit down. Charles slowly walks back.
''Are you insane? I,m not going to use that thing if it is as unstable as it looks!''
''Will you use it if someone tests it first?'' Phillipe asks. Charles takes a a moment to think about it.
''Perhaps I will. There are some things that I would like to see.'' he says. Phillipe claps his hands.
''Excellent! Anna, if you could be so kind to do the honours.'' he says. Anna hesitates for a moment.
''P...perhaps it better if I observe while you test the machine.'' she says and quickly grabs a piece of paper and a pencil. Phillipe sighs.
''Well I can't do it either, I have to operate the controls. There must be someone willing to do this.'' All three of the explorers think. After a moment Phillipe opens the door of the lab and looks around. He sees Kiwi running across the hallway. Phillipe stretches his arm outwards in order to stop her from running. Kiwi runs straight into it and tries to keep going but Phillipe manages to stop her.
''You want to help me run some experiments on my new machine?'' he asks her. Kiwi doesn't look at him.
''Probably not.'' she says and tries to get away. Anna Peeks her head over Phillipe's shoulder. ''You can have Phillipe's lunch if you help us.'' she says. Both Kiwi and Phillipe look surprised at Anna. Before Phillipe can open his mouth he is pushed aside by Kiwi who sprints into the lab. Anna quickly jumps aside and helps Phillipe get back on his feet.

Kiwi almost runs into the machine. She looks at it with her mouth gaped open. She then notices Charles leaning against a cabinet. Anna and Phillipe join her next to the machine.
''So......what does it do?'' Kiwi asks. Phillipe walks to the control panel as Anna explains how the machine works.
''.....basically it allows you to look into the future.'' Anna says. Kiwi rubs her hands together.

''Neat! I might just see what we have for dinner tomorrow.'' she says and sits down in the chair.
''Excellent! Please look into the tubes and tell us if you see anything.'' Anna says, she also signs Phillipe to turn on the machine. The machine starts up just like before, but Kiwi is not phased and stays looking through the tubes. The machine slowly starts to make more noise and shakes harder. Charles looks at Anna with a worried look.
''Don't worry.'' Anna says. ''All part of the process.'' After a little while the machine stops shaking. ''See? all under control.''

However the machine starts shaking again, even more violently than before. Phillipe tries to keep the machine under control but the levers are not responding. Some of the buttons spring away from the machine. Smoke comes out of the levers and the levers are getting to hot to touch. Anna quickly grabs Kiwi by the waist and pulls her away from the machine. Phillipe jumps away from the machine as well. The machine starts shaking more and more until it eventually stops. Smoke comes out of every hole and it looks to be beyond repair. Phillipe and Anna both look disappointed.
''Well.....I suppose we could always rebuild it and try again.'' Phillipe says. Suddenly Kiwi jumps up and turns towards the crew.
''I..I saw something!'' she screams. The eyes of all the other explorers open wide.
''What did you see?'' Phillipe asks with anticipation.
''I saw a large white plate with several neatly spaced words and letters on it. One of the biggest words was 'Godhood' which was large and placed in the centre. To the right of that was a smaller green plate that said 'back this project'. A lot of pictures about features, information about pledges with rewards associated with them and details on how to become a god!'' she says incredibly fast while jumping up and down. Anna grabs her by the shoulder, trying to keep her on the ground.
''Calm down Kiwi. You might knock over some of our equipment.'' she says. Charles's excitement for Kiwi's vision is immeasurable.
''Yes! This is something I can get behind. Paying to become a god? That seems more like it! That way I am finally so grand and mighty that the queen will have to notice me! I am going to start preparing right away!'' he says and runs out of the lab. Meanwhile Kiwi has regained her senses.
''So where is that lunch you promised me? '' she asks.

Rules:
  • Your captain has to be either Charles or Kiwi
  • And the other has to be a crewmember, the 2nd crewmember can be anyone
  • Gather as much Gold as you can
  • You must play on Adventure mode.
Scoring:

Your Score is your Renown + Gold combined
  • BRONZE: 8000 Points (1MP*)
  • SILVER: 18000 Points (2MP*)
  • GOLD: 35000 Points (3MP*)
  • PLATINUM: 55000 Points (3MP+**)
* Number of medal points awarded when playing on Classic Difficulty. Easy and Normal give less, according to these rules.
Gold and Platinum medals may only be achieved without losing, though Silver and Bronze are still possible to get with just the Record sheet for that trip.
** The platinum medal is extraordinary and can only be achieved on Classic or Impossible difficulty without losing. It doesn't increase Medal Points further than a Gold medal, but we will track how many you have.

How to participate
You can participate with a highscore, a story or both.

Stories
Write a story. Use the Challenge theme as an inspiration by looking at the constraints. Find other stories in the Fan Story directory or by looking at previous challenges.
Post your story in a new topic in these forums.
Also link to it to this thread with a comment: Include the first paragraph/few lines of your story in the post here to show readers what your story is about.

Highscores
Play the game according to the challenge rules and in Adventure mode.
Post in this topic a screenshot of your Win Screen*, right after the ceremony or your Leaderboard record.* Also include a text version of your score with the submission to allow for error checking.
Submit by 12:00 noon CET, 13/02/2019 (Or 02/13/2019 for those using MM/DD/YY)
(click here for your local time equivalent )
NOTE: Only one score will be accepted - only one submission for each player please. If you wish to enter a new score, please edit your initial entry and make it clear which score you are submitting, and add the word "EditGreenlight" to the entry so we can see immediately when the result needs updating.
*If you forget to screenshot the Win screen, you can also enter with a screenshot of your Leaderboards: Go to Main Menu > Leaderboards > Local > click the entry that matches your submission game > screenshot those details.

Game Version
Must be Build 522 or later

Story ideas: Will they gather enough funds to become gods? How will they get the gold to the future and apply for the project? What was Phillipe's lunch?

For the previous challenge - Challenge #149: Food for the Mighty - click here

Last edited: