What's new

Challenge #163: Will of the People

Ullissen

Community Member for 2 years
Challenge #163: Will of the People
Story: Pikminenco
Contributions from: Noctua Spell, Pikminenco, Pistax, Blackvision, Liort

Tagline : Prevent an uprising by adhering to the helpers demands; to give them more recognition.

Story:
Maria, Phalin and Yvonne return from a day spent shopping. In their hands they carry quite bags clothing, beauty products and the occasional assassination knife. Yvonne puts her bags on the ground and catches her breath for a moment.
''Huff...huff..why do I have to carry these bags by myself? Why did all my helpers decline to be my bag carrier for the day?''
''I,m not sure. Some of my helpers said that they had an important conference or something. They said they were very excited about it.'' Maria says.
''Screw those conferences! There is nothing more important than me! How can they let me carry my own bags!'' Yvonne complains.
''Come on misstres of the whine, only a few more streets and you can assort those clothes in your closet to never wear them.'' Phalin says. Yvonne mumbles something to herself but after a short while picks up the bags and walks on with Maria and Phalin.

As they walk up the steps to the society they see a large crowd of people with signs and banners in front of the society. The crew notices that a lot of them are wearing the same clothing, clothing they also recognise. This is an entire crowd of helpers.
''That has to be almost 200 of them, why are they all standing here?'' Maria asks.
''I thought you usually keep your group of helpers at the other side of the society. Did you change that?'' Phalin asks.
''No that is still the same; I dont think these are my helpers though.'' Yvonne says trying to look over the large crowd.
''Perhaps Kwame is giving a speech to his army of helpers; you know, promoting peace and charity and all such.'' Maria says.
Yvonne looks repulsed. ''Ugh no not another one of those. Lets walk around and enter through the back door.'' she says and the crew starts to move.

As they are almost past the entire crowd they notice someone climbing on a bit of scaffolding in the middle of the crowd. Phalin stops Maria and Yvonne and points to the man on the scaffolding. It is a man in green clothing, a small moustache and a notebook in his hand.
''That is a journalist! I wonder what he has to say.'' Maria says. Yvonne turns away from the crowd.
''Considering he is not part of my entourage I doubt its about me, so I'm not interested.'' she says and tries to leave, but Phalin grabs her by the arm, inquiring her to stay.
''My fellow helpers!'' the journalist says.''We have been oppressed for far to long, the rules are undermining our abilities to be the core of the exploring community have been going on for ages now! It is time for us to take what is rightfully ours!'' he preaches from the top of the scaffolding. The crowd of helpers in front of him cheer him on. The crew looks worried at each other.
''We have been chewed up and spit out by the so called explorers and have seen nothing in return, I say we demand some more respect!'' the journalist yells. The crowd once again erupt in cheers.
''But that is not even the worse!'' a merchant in the front row yells. He climbs up the scaffolding. ''The rules imply that we all wear the same clothing similar to our profession. This undermines our individualism. I say we get rid of this mandatory wardrobe!'' he screams. The crowd of helpers cheer him on. A lobbyist has also climbed up the scaffolding.
''That is nowhere near as bad as being packed like cattle on those blimps. They always assign us to the smallest rooms regardless of the amount of people they bring with them. We are sick of it and demand larger accommodation.'' she preaches. The crowd cheers in excitement.
''We also want more time to be able to work in our vegetable garden!'' a voice screams near the front of the mass. The crowd stays silent for a while.
''Shut up Rick.'' the man next to him says.

More and more helpers get a turn to speak about their horrible conditions on top of the scaffolding. The crew starts to worry about the consequences of this rally. Except for Yvonne, who just laughs.
''Thinking they have rights, how adorable.'' Yvonne says with a sly laughter. Some of the helpers near the back of the crowd heard Yvonne and turned around. One of them points at the crew.
''There are some of the tyrants! Get them!'' the trader yells. The mass of angry helpers slowly walk towards the crew, who respond by walking backwards. Yvonne grabs one of her newly bought high heels from the bag, readying to throw.
''Stay away from me you brutes!'' she says. She throws the heel towards the crowd, turns around and starts running away. Maria and Phalin follow suit. The helpers start a chase.

The crew runs away from the mob towards the back door, hoping the other explorers will back them up. As they turn around the last corner they see the back door has been barricaded with a number of stalls. Above the stalls is a sign which says ''Charity give away''.
''Curse you Kwame and your ever growing need to give things away!'' Maria yells while shaking her fist. Behind one of the stalls Kwame shows his head above the counter.
''Did somebody call my name?'' he asks and walks to the crew. Yvonne quickly runs up to him.
''Kwame thank goodness you're here. We are being chased by a mob of angry helpers and you are probably the only person that can calm them down.'' Yvonne pleads. Kwame looks confused at the crew.
''They went past this corner!'' yells a helper from afar. The crew quickly move behind Kwame.

As the mob of helpers turn the corner they quickly in their tracks as they notice Kwame standing in front of the accused tyrants.
''Mister Amanquatia, we are surprised to see you're here.'' the journalist says. ''We were chasing them because they said mean things about us.'' he continues.
''And they threw shoes at us!'' a student yells.
''That was only in self defence!'' Yvonne yells back. A lot of yelling follows from both sides. Kwame urges everyone to calm down. When everyone is quiet he starts to defend his fellow explorers
''Now now Carlo.'' he says to the journalist. ''When you would have caught them what were you going to do to them?'' Kwame asks. The journalist hesitates to answer.
''We...uhm....we would have....uhm...''
''Beat them up? Is that it?'' Kwame asks. The journalist does not respond but looks down to the ground.
''I have always told all of you that violence solves nothing. If you want to achieve your goals you have to keep it diplomatic and reasonable. Why don't we sit around the table and figure out an end in which everyone is happy.'' Kwame says and grabs the journalist’s hand in a caring way.

Rules:
  • You can have anyone as captain and crew
  • You must balance your helpers carefully, keep all their groups the same size.
  • You get bonus points for finding the Monymusk Reliquary, for recycling.
  • You must play on Adventure mode.
Scoring:
Your score is your renown + potential bonus points or penalties.

You will get 1k bonus points for finding Monymusk Reliquary, as you can sell it back to the monks for recycling it in Godhood.

You'll get a penalty if your groups of helpers (Merchants, Traders, Lobbyists, Journalists, Students) are not the same size, Barterers are not included in this rule. The maximum difference can be 1 without penalties, dont forget to add a screenshot of your entourage page to show how many you have of each helper.
  • +1000 points if all the groups of helpers are the exact same size (5-5-5-5-5)
  • No bonus or penalty for a difference of 1 between all groups (example: 5-5-6-5-6)
  • -1000 points for a difference of 2 between all groups (example: 5-5-6-5-7)
  • -3000 points for a difference of 3 between all groups (example: 5-5-6-5-8)
  • -5000 points for a difference of 4 between all groups (example: 5-5-6-5-9)
  • -5000 points and you're limited to a Bronze for a difference of 5 or greater
  • BRONZE: 4000 Points (1MP*)
  • SILVER: 8000 Points (2MP*)
  • GOLD: 13000 Points (3MP*)
  • PLATINUM: 20000 Points (3MP+**)
dont forget to add a screenshot of your entourage page

* Number of medal points awarded when playing on Classic Difficulty. Easy and Normal give less, according to these rules.
Gold and Platinum medals may only be achieved without losing, though Silver and Bronze are still possible to get with just the Record sheet for that trip.
** The platinum medal is extraordinary and can only be achieved on Classic or Impossible difficulty without losing. It doesn't increase Medal Points further than a Gold medal, but we will track how many you have.

How to participate
You can participate with a highscore, a story or both.

Stories
Write a story. Use the Challenge theme as an inspiration by looking at the constraints. Find other stories in the Fan Story directory or by looking at previous challenges.
Post your story in a new topic in these forums.
Also link to it to this thread with a comment: Include the first paragraph/few lines of your story in the post here to show readers what your story is about.

Highscores
Play the game according to the challenge rules and in Adventure mode.
Post in this topic a screenshot of your Win Screen*, right after the ceremony or your Leaderboard record.* Also include a text version of your score with the submission to allow for error checking.
Submit by 12:00 noon CET, 21/08/2019 (Or 08/21/2019 for those using MM/DD/YY)
(click here for your local time equivalent )
NOTE: Only one score will be accepted - only one submission for each player please. If you wish to enter a new score, please edit your initial entry and make it clear which score you are submitting, and add the word "EditGreenlight" to the entry so we can see immediately when the result needs updating.
*If you forget to screenshot the Win screen, you can also enter with a screenshot of your Leaderboards: Go to Main Menu > Leaderboards > Local > click the entry that matches your submission game > screenshot those details.

Dont forget to add a screenshot of your entourage page

Game Version
Must be Build 522 or later

Story ideas:Who has been treating the helpers so badly that they rebelled? Will Kwame be able to mediate a deal between the two groups? Does Yvonne have to buy a different pair of heels now?

For the previous challenge - Challenge#162: Beardless Battle - click here