What's new

Challenge #167: Sabotage par l'anglais

Ullissen

Community Member for 2 years
Challenge #167: Sabotage par l'anglais
Concept: Blackvision, Liort
Story: Pikminenco
Contributions from: Flamestalker, Noctua Spell, Pikminenco, Liort, Blackvison

Tagline : Victor has to fail his next expedition, but that doesn't mean it has to be a "failure"

Story:
Pinkerton sits peacefully in his office. He finally found some time to work on his model ship. That peace however was quickly interrupted. Three loud knocks came from his office door, after which the door almost immediately opened before Pinkerton could react. An angry Victor stormed towards him.
‘’Pinkerton! What is the meaning of this?’’ Victor asks angrily. Pinkerton looks up from his boat at Victor. As soon as he sees the fuming red face of Victor he knows what it is about. Pinkerton tries to play it cool.
‘’Oh hello Victor, I have no idea what you are talking about.’’ He says while the sweat creeps down from the sides of his head. Victor slams the door behind him. This almost causes the boat to fall over, however Pinkerton quickly grabs it and puts it on a smaller table behind him. Once he has turned around towards Victor he notices a piece of paper on his desk.
‘’Dear Victor, please show the world British supremacy and French failure by completely botching your next expedition, from your lovely rival, Charles.'' he read.
''Why was this ridiculous request in my inbox? And more importantly why is your signature beneath it?’’ Victor asks angrily. Pinkerton looks at the piece of paper.
‘’I…I can explain Victor. There is a very good reason fort his re…request.’’ He says. Victor moves the chair in front of Pinkerton’s desk back a bit and sits on it with folded arms.
‘’It better be.’’
‘’Well…. It happened a few days ago.’’

Pinkerton walked through the office with a large box in his arms. He had a bought a construction kit for a model as present for all his hard work. He pushed open the office door with his back
The chair was facing to the window behind his desk. He could tell that somebody was sitting in his chair.
‘’Hello Augustus. I have been expecting you.’’ The person said.
‘’Charles? How long have you been in here’’? Pinkerton asked. Charles spun the chair around in dramatic fashion.
‘’Far too long good sir.’’ He said with a large smile on his face. Pinkerton rolled his eyes.
‘’Just cut to the chase will you?’’ he told Charles.
‘’I am here about my favour. I assume you haven’t forgotten?’’ Charles asked. Pinkerton put the construction kit on his desk.
‘’Haven’t slept since.’’ He said sarcastically. ‘’But it doesn’t matter how hard I try I can’t get your letters to the queen either.’’
‘’Oh but that isn’t my request this time.’’ Charles said. Pinkerton seemed very shocked.
‘’Th…then what do you want.’’ He asked. Charles started to lean on the table with his elbows.
‘’I want those French fops around here to show humility for once. I can’t stand how they take all the glory around here’’ He said with an angry tone. Pinkerton looked perplexed at Charles.
‘’You mean Rivaleux?’’ he asked. Charles shook his head.
‘’No not him. He’s not playabl.. No Victor is the frenchie I,m talking about.’’ Charles said.
‘’What do you want to make him do?’’ Pinkerton asked. Charles laughed.
‘’Oh I have an idea. It’s on this note. All I need from you is your signature’’
Pinkerton sighed.
‘’I suppose there is little I can do to stop you. Can you give me that pen?’’ he asked. Charles rubbed his hands.
‘’Yes, perfect!’’ he said.
‘’Also Charles one more thing.’’ Pinkerton said. Charles looked back at Pinkerton.
‘’What is it Pinkerton?’’
‘’Get out of my chair!’’

‘’….and that is what happened.’’ Pinkerton explains.
‘’So you couldn’t pay back a loan to a loan shark so Charles helped you out specifically so he could thwart me later.’’ Victor asks. Pinkerton raises his shoulder.
‘’Seems like it.’’ he says. Victor still seems to be confused.
‘’And what are the consequences if you don’t pay the debt?’’
‘’Then we have to sell the society and relocate our base of operations somewhere in France.’’ Pinkerton explains. Victor looks pleasantly surprised.
‘’That and Charles gets to keep the money for himself.’’ The happy look on Victor’s face vanished.
‘’Sacrebleu! The last thing he needs is a pile of money as big as his ego. We can’t have that.’’ He says.
Pinkerton’s face lightens up. ‘’So you will do it?’’ Victor nods.
‘’But only because I have to keep Charles in check.’’ He says, stands up from his chair and opens the door.
‘’But Victor…’’ Pinkerton asks. Victor turns around to hear him more clearly.
‘’Will I now be in your debt?’’ Pinkerton asks a bit scared. Victor stays silent for a few seconds.
‘’I will let you know.’’ He says and closes the door.

Rules:
  • Victor has to be your Captain
  • Charles cannot be on your crew, he's laughing from the sidelines
  • You have to be defeated during your 1st expedition
  • You must play on Adventure mode.
Scoring:
You are scored by Renown, your medal depends your place on the standings at the end

As your run will end before a results screen, you will need find your run in your leaderboards and find your run there for the screenshot needed. Here's an example: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1878778324
  • BRONZE: 11th place or lower (1MP*)
  • SILVER: 5th - 10th place (2MP*)
  • GOLD: 2nd - 4th place (3MP*)
  • PLATINUM: 1st place, be the best failure ːsteammockingː (3MP+**)
* Number of medal points awarded when playing on Classic Difficulty. Easy and Normal give less, according to these rules.
Gold and Platinum medals may only be achieved without losing, though Silver and Bronze are still possible to get with just the Record sheet for that trip.
** The platinum medal is extraordinary and can only be achieved on Classic or Impossible difficulty without losing. It doesn't increase Medal Points further than a Gold medal, but we will track how many you have.

How to participate
You can participate with a highscore, a story or both.

Stories
Write a story. Use the Challenge theme as an inspiration by looking at the constraints. Find other stories in the Fan Story directory or by looking at previous challenges.
Post your story in a new topic in these forums.
Also link to it to this thread with a comment: Include the first paragraph/few lines of your story in the post here to show readers what your story is about.

Highscores
Play the game according to the challenge rules and in Adventure mode.
Post in this topic a screenshot of your Win Screen*, right after the ceremony or your Leaderboard record.* Also include a text version of your score with the submission to allow for error checking.
Submit by 18:00 noon CET, 09/10/2019 (Or 10/09/2019 for those using MM/DD/YY)
(click here for your local time equivalent )
NOTE: Only one score will be accepted - only one submission for each player please. If you wish to enter a new score, please edit your initial entry and make it clear which score you are submitting, and add the word "EditGreenlight" to the entry so we can see immediately when the result needs updating.
*If you forget to screenshot the Win screen, you can also enter with a screenshot of your Leaderboards: Go to Main Menu > Leaderboards > Local > click the entry that matches your submission game > screenshot those details.

Dont forget the screenshot from your leaderboards

Game Version
Must be Build 522 or later

Story ideas: How did Charles come up with the idea to annoy Victor? What hard work has Pinkerton done to reward himself? How did Charles get in Pinkerton’s office?

For the previous challenge - Challenge #166: Face Value - click here