What's new

Challenge #173: Explorer Christmas

Ullissen

Community Member for 2 years
Challenge #173: Explorer Christmas
Concept: Liort, Flamestalker
Story: Pikminenco
Contributions from: Pistax, Flamestalker, Noctua Spell

Tagline : Celebrate Christmas and give generously so that everybody can enjoy the festivities

Story:
Hatice opens the door of the society after walking around in the cold December air.
The main halls of the society are decorated with ornaments and lit by candles. These darkest days of the year sure feel like the brightest. Everybody is in a good mood and tries to help each other. Even Harry, who has changed his regular cap for a Santa hat and is asking people for donation to help a good cause. Many of the explorers give some money to help, but not a lot. Then Harry notices Hatice. Knowing that she has quite the fortune Harry rushes towards her and puts up his best smile.

‘’Happy Christmas Hatice. Would you like to help the poor orphans of London? They do not have it as good as we do. They could use all the help they can get in these dark times. As I know their situation better than anyone else, I am raising money to buy essential supplies for them.’’ Harry says happily.
‘’I am baffled. Why are you doing this? This isn’t like you.’’ She says surprised.
‘’At the end of every year I am reminded that of my time at the orphanage. While everyone outside was celebrating I had nothing to celebrate. It was just another stinking day with barely anything to eat. So I am trying to lift the spirits of the orphans and help them out this year!’’ he explains. Hatice notices a small tag on the bag. She tries to distract Harry so she can read it.
''Wow Harry I never expected you to do something so selfless.’’ Hatice says. Harry looks proud.
‘’It sure feels good to …… hey give that back!’’ Hatice quickly snatched the bag from harry to look at the tag.
‘’It’s addressed to the society....specifically your mailbox.'' Hatice says. Harry quickly takes back the bag.
''So? Am I not a poor, down to his luck, young orphan?'' he asks with puppy dog eyes.
''I won’t comment on the last two, but you are not poor anymore. Isn't Frank from accounting still counting your gold from last expedition.'' Hatice asks. Harry looks around nervously.
''He…he….not anymore.'' he says.
''Then where did all that money go?'' Hatice asks. Harry raises his shoulder.
''Wait....you didn't.....'' Hatice says. Harry nods in shame.
''I have no self-control.''

Meanwhile at Rivaleux's private statue park.
''Who keeps putting these statues of Harry in my park?'' Rivaleux yells angrily.

''I never thought you would do it again.'' Hatice says. Harry raises his shoulders once more.
‘’I guess old habits die hard. Now I need to get my money back so I have some spare cash for these dark times.’’ He says and tries to walk away but is kept in place by Hatice holding his arm.
‘’But what about those poor orphans?’’ She says teasingly. Harry turns around.
‘’What orphans, what do they have to do with this?’’ Harry asks.
‘’Wont you give the money to them? Remember all those difficult times you had to go through. You could really help them out here.’’ Hatice says.
‘’If they are anything like me they would thrive during these days, plenty to pickpocket and swindle out of people. Honestly, I do need this money more than they do.’’ Harry says.
‘’Give that money to the orphanage or I will tell Rivaleux that you put that statue there.’’ She threatens. Harry is in shook.
‘’You wouldn’t! Then he would politely ask me to remove it’’ he says in fear. Hatice puts up a mean smile.
‘’Do you want to risk it?’’ Harry contemplates his options for a small while, but eventually caves in.
‘’Alright, alright I will give it to those stinking orphans. But you better stay off my back for a while. You are asking a lot from me here.’’ He says.

Rules:
  • Your Captain can be anyone, but not Harry
  • Your Captain must have learned Diplomat - Generous by expedition five
  • You must have unlocked Lighthouse Point (Secret Shop) by expedition five
  • Gold has to be your primary resource
  • You get bonus points for each unequiped trinket (Xmas gifts) in your inventory*
  • You must play on Adventure mode.
Notes:
*The bonus points you get depend on the quality of your gifts (unequiped trinket). Some are considered great gifts, others poor gifts or neutral. I'll list the Great and Poor gifts below, every other trinket not listed is considered neutral.

Great Gifts: Lucky Charm, Incredible Rose, Coach Whistle, Lute, Janissary Börk, Turban, Corsair's Coin, Monocle, Poker Set, Banjo, Sheriff Badge, Cork Hat, Boomerang, Biscuit Box, Friendship Bracelet, Zemi Talisman, Festive Hat

Poor Gifts: Monkey Wrench, Machete, Trowel and Broom, Battery, Pickaxe, Saw, Calipers, Hammer, Free Mug

Scoring:
Your score is your Renown + Bonus Points

You get 500 points for each Great Gift (unequiped trinkets)
You get 250 points for each (neutral) gift
You get no points for each Poor Gift

Remember you do need to provide screenshots of your captain's perks and crew inventory, which can be done in a single screenshot
  • BRONZE: 2500 Points (1MP*)
  • SILVER: 8000 Points (2MP*)
  • GOLD: 16000 Points (3MP*)
  • PLATINUM: 22000 Points (3MP+**)
* Number of medal points awarded when playing on Classic Difficulty. Easy and Normal give less, according to these rules.
Gold and Platinum medals may only be achieved without losing, though Silver and Bronze are still possible to get with just the Record sheet for that trip.
** The platinum medal is extraordinary and can only be achieved on Classic or Impossible difficulty without losing. It doesn't increase Medal Points further than a Gold medal, but we will track how many you have.

How to participate
You can participate with a highscore, a story or both.

Stories
Write a story. Use the Challenge theme as an inspiration by looking at the constraints. Find other stories in the Fan Story directory or by looking at previous challenges.
Post your story in a new topic in these forums.
Also link to it to this thread with a comment: Include the first paragraph/few lines of your story in the post here to show readers what your story is about.

Highscores
Play the game according to the challenge rules and in Adventure mode.
Post in this topic a screenshot of your Win Screen*, right after the ceremony or your Leaderboard record.* Also include a text version of your score with the submission to allow for error checking.
Submit by 12:00 noon CET, 03/01/2020 (Or 01/03/2020 for those using MM/DD/YY)
(click here for your local time equivalent )
NOTE: Only one score will be accepted - only one submission for each player please. If you wish to enter a new score, please edit your initial entry and make it clear which score you are submitting, and add the word "EditGreenlight" to the entry so we can see immediately when the result needs updating.
*If you forget to screenshot the Win screen, you can also enter with a screenshot of your Leaderboards: Go to Main Menu > Leaderboards > Local > click the entry that matches your submission game > screenshot those details.

Remember you do need to provide screenshots of your captain's perks and crew inventory

Game Version
Must be Build 522 or later

Story ideas: What do the other explorers do during Christmas?
Would Hatice have given some money if it were an actual donation to the orphanage?
Will Rivaleux eventually find the culprit himself?

For the previous challenge - Challenge #172: Paths of Life - click here