What's new

Challenge #175: Chinese Yu Year

Ullissen

Community Member for 2 years
Challenge #175: Chinese Yu Year
Concept: Pistax
Story: Pikminenco
Contributions from: Noctua Spell Flamestalker, Pistax, Pikminenco, Blackvision

Tagline : Yu is celebrating Chinese New Year, can you succeed with Yu too busy having fun?

Story:
The sound of chalk on a blackboard fills the small conference room in the corner of the society. On the blackboard are drawings of campaign tokens, insight tokens, lobbyists and small indicators for every insight location. Jan-Piet and his crew are optimizing the best insight strategy there is. Well….most of his crew.
‘’So if we start in Celtic Code we should have plenty of research papers to go with a historic focus for the rest of our expeditions.’’ Jan-Piet says while drawing lines on the backboard.
‘’Then we should recruit some lobbyists to help us get our stories told to the masses.’’ He says and draws more lines.
‘’Afterwards it is our mission to go to Mali and recruit the sword enthusiast.’’ He says and turns around. Min-Jeong is taking notes. Yu is leaning back in his chair looking at the ceiling. Jan-Piet taps the blackboard with the chalk in his hand.
‘’Yu are you paying attention? This is key information for our journey!’’ Jan-Piet says.
‘’Oh I’m paying attention, I am looking at that footprint on the ceiling.’’ He says.
‘’Yes yes very funny, but we have to discuss our route of operation for tomorrow.’’ Jan-Piet says. Min-Jeong looks up at the ceiling only to see no foot print anywhere. Yu laughs in his chair and gives Min-Jeong a slap on her shoulder. Annoyed, Min-Jeong sighs and continues writing notes.
‘’Yu this is important information for the expedition!’’ Jan-Piet says angrily while pointing with his chalk to the crudely drawn man with a sword.
‘’Don’t count on me that day. I have other obligations to attend to’’ Yu says while stretching his arms and smiling. Jan-Piet lowers his chalk.
‘’How….awfully upfront of you. Then what might be so important that it has a higher priority than our entire plan?’’ Jan-Piet asks. Yu sits up straight.
‘’Well it is Chinese new year of course. And I am going to celebrate in my favorite way. Want to take a guess? Fireworks, its fireworks you never would have got that so I just said it.’’ Yu says.
‘’Oh right, I heard something about that! I think it is ‘the year of the monkey’ isn’t it?’’ Jan-Piet asks. Min-Jeong puts down her pencil.
‘’No silly it’s the year of the goat, isn’t that right Yu?’’ she asks. Yu nods.
‘’True, but I,m not celebrating that one. I celebrate the year of the Metal Rat, the way more interesting animal.’’ He says. Min-Jeong looks confused at Yu.
‘’But that isn’t until...wait...’’ She says before Yu interrupts.
‘’I,m not celebrating the current year. That is for boring people. I celebrate the one in the distant fuuutuuure.’’ He says while waving his hands around. Jan-Piet taps the blackboard again.
‘’Enough about the distant future! The chain of expeditions start tomorrow and you are coming with us whether you like it or not!’’ he says. Yu crosses his arms.
‘’Fine, but don’t expect me to be of any help!’’

Rules:
  • Your captain can be anyone, except Wang Yu
  • Wang Yu has to be on the crew
  • Wang Yu can only learn 4 perks, any more will be penalised
  • You must go to Shangri-La and get the Emperor Rat* (devious + gold)
  • You must play on Adventure mode.
Notes:
* If you failed to get the Emperor Rat you are limited to a Bronze Medal

Scoring:
Your Score is your Renown + Bonus Points/Penalties

You get a penalty for each Perk that Yu has after the 4th, for -750 points per perk

You get 250 bonus points for each level up that Yu doesn't have, and another 500 bonus points if he is still level 1 at the end of the game
  • BRONZE: 3000 Points (1MP*)
  • SILVER: 7500 Points (2MP*)
  • GOLD: 14000 Points (3MP*)
  • PLATINUM: 19000 Points (3MP+**)
Dont forget to add a screenshot of Yu's passport to show his perks and level

* Number of medal points awarded when playing on Classic Difficulty. Easy and Normal give less, according to these rules.
Gold and Platinum medals may only be achieved without losing, though Silver and Bronze are still possible to get with just the Record sheet for that trip.
** The platinum medal is extraordinary and can only be achieved on Classic or Impossible difficulty without losing. It doesn't increase Medal Points further than a Gold medal, but we will track how many you have.

[h1]How to participate[/h1]
You can participate with a highscore, a story or both.

Stories
Write a story. Use the Challenge theme as an inspiration by looking at the constraints. Find other stories in the Fan Story directory or by looking at previous challenges.
Post your story in a new topic in these forums.
Also link to it to this thread with a comment: Include the first paragraph/few lines of your story in the post here to show readers what your story is about.

Highscores
Play the game according to the challenge rules and in Adventure mode.
Post in this topic a screenshot of your Win Screen*, right after the ceremony or your Leaderboard record.* Also include a text version of your score with the submission to allow for error checking.
Submit by 12:00 noon CET, 05/02/2020 (Or 02/05/2020 for those using MM/DD/YY)
(click here for your local time equivalent )
NOTE: Only one score will be accepted - only one submission for each player please. If you wish to enter a new score, please edit your initial entry and make it clear which score you are submitting, and add the word "EditGreenlight" to the entry so we can see immediately when the result needs updating.
*If you forget to screenshot the Win screen, you can also enter with a screenshot of your Leaderboards: Go to Main Menu > Leaderboards > Local > click the entry that matches your submission game > screenshot those details.

Dont forget to post a screenshot of Yu's passport

Game Version
Must be Build 522 or later

Story ideas: Which year does Yu celebrate? What is the follow up of Jan-Piet’s plan? What explorer activities will Yu still do?

For the previous challenge - Challenge #174: Babysitters - click here