What's new

Challenge #178: Flu Season

Ullissen

Community Member for 2 years
Challenge #178: Flu Season
Concept: Flamestalker, Professor Finessor
Story: Pikminenco
Contributions from: Flamestalker, Noctua Spell, Pistax, Blackvision

Tagline : Several explorers are a bit ill, is it just a mild flu or could it be something more serious?

Story:
Harry wanders through the hallways of the society. Some of his helpers have complained about his ways of action. Now the best way to get the helpers happy again is not to comply with their demands but to have Kwame talk some sense into them. Harry is currently looking for him near the lounge.

‘’Kwame, I have some rebellious helpers that won’t listen to me, can you help me talk some sense into them?’’ he asks right before passing the corner. As Harry looks through the room he notices that there is nobody in the lounge besides Emilia, who is reading a book.
‘’Where is Kwame?’’ Harry asks.
‘’He is in the infirmary together with Agatha and Hildegard. They were feeling Ill so gave them some treatment and told them to rest.’’ Emilia says.
‘’Well, that’s a bummer. A fever you said?’’ Harry asks.
‘’Pretty sure, I didn’t see any symptoms of more serious cases.’’ She says.
‘’It isn’t some weird epidemic that could have got them?’’ Harry asks. Emilia’s eyes widen.
‘’Oh no! You could be right! There was a yellow fever outbreak in Buenos Aires not too long ago. Maybe they somehow got it too. I must check on them.’’ She says as she jumps up from the couch and runs past Harry. She almost runs right into Phillipe who was walking towards the lounge. She quickly grabs him by the shoulders.
‘’Quick! Tell me! Where are Agatha, Hildegard and Kwame?’’ she asks. Phillipe looks very surprised.
‘’The…. they haven’t left the infirmary since you put them there. Why are you panicking all of the sudden?’’ Phillipe asks. Emilia lets go of Phillipe and runs towards the infirmary.
‘’I must quarantine them before other people get Yellow Fever!’’ she says while taking a sharp turn through the hallway. Phillipe walks to Harry, who is sitting in a chair in disbelieve.
‘’Harry, did you make Emilia believe that the light flu Agatha, Hildegard and Kwame have might actually be yellow fever? Phillipe asks. Harry stares blankly at the wall for a few seconds before answering.
‘’Yes?’’
‘’That is hilarious, but also very irresponsible. You know you have to be careful about telling lies around her.’’ Phillipe says.
‘’This might be hard to believe but I did not mean for that to happen.’’ Harry says.
‘’Doesn’t matter if it was your intention or not you should probably tell her that this was just a hoax. To calm her down a bit.’’ Phillipe suggests. Harry slumbers further in his chair, not wanting to go tell her.
‘’You know it might be better if you go to her instead. She will surely believe the expert doctor more than some low-life street urchin.’’ He says.
‘’Yea sure, you won’t escape that easily.’’ Phillipe says and tugs Harry by the arm. ‘’At the very least you are coming with me.’’
‘’Alright, alright I’m coming.’’

As Phillipe and Harry approach the infirmary they notice that there is nobody there. They look at each other, wondering where the others could be. After a short while they hear the sound of a hammer being smashed repeatedly against wood. It seems to be coming from Pinkerton’s office. They make their way towards the sound and when they get closer they see Emilia nailing wooden beams against the door. Harry has a difficult time trying not to laugh. Phillipe walks towards her.

‘’Emilia, aren’t you overreacting a bit?''
''We have to be extra careful in order to prevent a pandemic.'' She says as she continues to hit nails into the wooden boards.
''Did they actually show symptoms of yellow fever?'' Phillipe asks. Emilia lowers her hammer.
''No... but what if they could have?'' She says.
''Not a single explorer has been to Buenos Aires recently let alone Argentina. Not even Maria or Pedrinho.'' Phillipe says.
''I’m sure Pedrinho wouldn’t even want to found dead there.'' Harry adds.
''And besides, why put them all in Pinkerton's office?'' he continues.
''Did he give you permission to quarantine them in there?'' Phillipe asks. Emilia looks worried at the door.
''I.. I meant to ask him but was caught up in preventing the pandemic that I forgot to ask him while he was working.'' She says. Phillipe’s and Harry’s mouth open wide.
‘’You mean he is still in there?’’ Phillipe asks surprised. Harry bursts out in laughter.
‘’Well, you can add one to the infection counter.’’ He says while laughing.
‘’Oh no! I’ve doomed the society!’’ Emilia says.
‘’Don’t worry. I have experience in these problems. Before you know it everything will be just fine.’’ Phillipe says while a drop of sweat appears on the side of his head.

Rules:
  • Your Captain has to be either Emilia or Phillipe
  • You cannot use Agatha, Hildegard, Kwame or recruit Pinkerton, as they have been quarantined by Emelia
  • You get bonus points for Resolve, Students and Biology Perks
  • You must play on Adventure mode.
Scoring:
Your score is your Renown + Bonus Points

You get 250 Bonus Points for each Resolve you have after 5th expedition (You'll have to click "one more expedition" to get the screenshot for it)

You get 500 Bonus Points for each explorer with the Naturalist - Biology perk

You get 100 Bonus Points for each Student you have recruited
  • BRONZE: 5000 Points (1MP*)
  • SILVER: 11000 Points (2MP*)
  • GOLD: 17000 Points (3MP*)
  • PLATINUM: 24000 Points (3MP+**)
* Number of medal points awarded when playing on Classic Difficulty. Easy and Normal give less, according to these rules.
Gold and Platinum medals may only be achieved without losing, though Silver and Bronze are still possible to get with just the Record sheet for that trip.
** The platinum medal is extraordinary and can only be achieved on Classic or Impossible difficulty without losing. It doesn't increase Medal Points further than a Gold medal, but we will track how many you have.

How to participate
You can participate with a highscore, a story or both.

Stories
Write a story. Use the Challenge theme as an inspiration by looking at the constraints. Find other stories in the Fan Story directory or by looking at previous challenges.
Post your story in a new topic in these forums.
Also link to it to this thread with a comment: Include the first paragraph/few lines of your story in the post here to show readers what your story is about.

Highscores
Play the game according to the challenge rules and in Adventure mode.
Post in this topic a screenshot of your Win Screen*, right after the ceremony or your Leaderboard record.* Also include a text version of your score with the submission to allow for error checking.
Submit by 12:00 noon CET, 20/03/2020 (Or 03/20/2020 for those using MM/DD/YY)
(click here for your local time equivalent )
NOTE: Only one score will be accepted - only one submission for each player please. If you wish to enter a new score, please edit your initial entry and make it clear which score you are submitting, and add the word "EditGreenlight" to the entry so we can see immediately when the result needs updating.
*If you forget to screenshot the Win screen, you can also enter with a screenshot of your Leaderboards: Go to Main Menu > Leaderboards > Local > click the entry that matches your submission game > screenshot those details.

Dont forget to add screenshots of your resolve, biology perks and students

Game Version
Must be Build 522 or later

Story ideas:How will Phillipe come up with a cure? Wasn’t there any other room she could have used? What actions did Harry’s helpers complain about?

For the previous challenge - Challenge #177: Questionable Cooking - click here