What's new

Challenge #190: Newly Published

Ullissen

Community Member for 2 years
Challenge #190: Newly Published
Concept: Blackvision
Story: Pikminenco
Contributions from: Flamestalker, Noctua Spell, Blackvision, Pikminenco

Tagline :With nothing left to read, the explorers venture forth the find new and exciting stories.

Story:
With a large stack of books in hand Emilia pushes against the library door, slowly opening it while keeping the stack of books safe in her arms. She stumbles a bit but finds the return counter and places all the books on it. A lady walks to the other side of the counter.
‘’I would like to return these please. I have read them all.’’ Emilia says with a smile. The lady grabs the book on the top of the stack and opens it. She sees that there still are three weeks left before return date.
‘’I will look for some new ones know. See you in a moment.’’ Emilia says. The lady silently nods and grabs a stamp from under the counter.

Emilia walks to the bookcases and looks for something she has not read before, which is more difficult than she initially thought. Many of the books she grabs from the shelves she has already read previously. It seems like there is nothing left. But then she notices a book with a worn out cover standing uneven among the other books on the top shelf of the bookcase. She pushes a small stool towards it and grabs the book cautiously hoping to not damage the book any further. She steps down from the stool and reads the title.
‘’High scores and guides, tips and tricks for optimal exploring.’’ She says softly. Looking at the cover, she sees the author of the book is somebody named H. Walker. Looking at the cover she sees a bunch of generic treasure maps and a stick figure wearing a paperboy hat.
‘’Seems like a lot of people have used this book, but I don’t need it.’’ She says confidently and places the book back on the top shelf.

Emilia roams around the large bookcases for around half an hour but is unable to find anything new. She returns to the counter were the lady is still stamping the books Emilia brought with her.
‘’So…..I was wondering. Do you have anything new brought in since last week?’’ Emilia asks. The lady stamps one more book and then pushes the stack of books to the side.
‘’Just like last week we do not have any books in the back that are not copies or in such a poor state that they are no longer readable.’’ The lady behind the counter says.
‘’Are you certain? There must be something in there that I haven’t seen before. How about I will search for……’’
‘’No we are not doing that again!’’ the lady says, interrupting Emilia. ’’While I admire your incredible dedication we can not allow you to go back in there. Maybe you have forgotten but we had great trouble dragging you out of there two weeks ago.’’
Emilia looks puzzled. ‘’I do not remember doing something like that…’’ she says surprised.
‘’If you want some new reading experiences you could always go into the wide world and search for books there. However considering your outfit I have my doubts that you will be fit for such an endeavour.’’ The lady says. Emilia starts to smile and grabs her library card from the counter.
‘’You don’t know half my dedication for knowledge and books.’’ She says and leaves the library.

Rules:
  • Everyone can be captain or crew
  • Gather Books and related items*
  • You must play on Adventure mode
Notes:
The following treasures and items are valid and are worth the amount listed below
Each copy of a book will be worth half as much as the previous copy
All the Emotion books from New Orleans are considered the same book

• 500 Points: Origins of Species II, Roche's Logbook, Secretum Secretorum, Voodoo Ritual Book, Dead Sea Scroll, Peace Treaty, Patriarch Papers
  • 300 Points: Feudal Poem, Hieroglyph Tablet, Highlander Manifesto, Grand Minister
  • 100 Points: History Book, Legendary Book, Legendary Book of X
  • 75 Points: Exloring for Dummies, Adventure Book
  • 50 Points: Translation Guide, Tactician's Notes, Master Book, Master Book of X
  • 25 Points: Good Book
  • 20 Points: Decent Book, Book of X
Scoring:
Your Score is your Renown + Bonus Points

You get Bonus Points for gathering books, look above for details.

Dont forget to screenshot your inventory
  • BRONZE: 3000 Points (1MP*)
  • SILVER: 8000 Points (2MP*)
  • GOLD: 15000 Points, with atleast 2000 Bonus Points (3MP*)
  • PLATINUM: 22000 Points, with atleast 3000 Bonus Points (3MP+**)
* Number of medal points awarded when playing on Classic Difficulty. Easy and Normal give less, according to these rules.
Gold and Platinum medals may only be achieved without losing, though Silver and Bronze are still possible to get with just the Record sheet for that trip.
** The platinum medal is extraordinary and can only be achieved on Classic or Impossible difficulty without losing. It doesn't increase Medal Points further than a Gold medal, but we will track how many you have.

How to participate
You can participate with a highscore, a story or both.

Stories
Write a story. Use the Challenge theme as an inspiration by looking at the constraints. Find other stories in the Fan Story directory or by looking at previous challenges.
Post your story in a new topic in these forums.
Also link to it to this thread with a comment: Include the first paragraph/few lines of your story in the post here to show readers what your story is about.

Highscores
Play the game according to the challenge rules and in Adventure mode.
Post in this topic a screenshot of your Win Screen*, right after the ceremony or your Leaderboard record.* Also include a text version of your score with the submission to allow for error checking.
Submit by 12:00 noon CET, 09/09/2020
(click here for your local time equivalent )
NOTE: Only one score will be accepted - only one submission for each player please. If you wish to enter a new score, please edit your initial entry and make it clear which score you are submitting, and add the word "EditGreenlight" to the entry so we can see immediately when the result needs updating.
*If you forget to screenshot the Win screen, you can also enter with a screenshot of your Leaderboards: Go to Main Menu > Leaderboards > Local > click the entry that matches your submission game > screenshot those details.

Dont forget to add a screenshot of your inventory, its needed to verify your bonuspoints

Game Version
Must be Build 522 or later

Story ideas: Where will Emilia look for new and unseen books. How does she read so much? Who is the mysterious artist of the worn out book.

For the previous challenge - Challenge #189: Release Party - click here