What's new

Challenge #197: The Ultimate Challenge

Ullissen

Community Member for 2 years
Challenge #197: The Ultimate Challenge
Concept: Flamestalker
Story: Pikminenco
Contributions from: Flamestalker, Noctua Spell, Blackvision, Pikminenco, Pistax

Tagline : Help Victor chase the stars, high star expeditions that is. Do you think you can overcome multiple of them?

Story:
The sound of wood hitting wood come out of the gym. The intervals and the intensity of the strikes change every second, sometimes there are many strikes withing a few seconds, other times only one loud strike. Victor and Bia have been fighting each other for quite some time now. What started as mere practice has escalated in a fierce duel to see who has more knowledge about the art of the sword. Bia has had the upper hand for most of the fight, striking Victor whenever possible and forcing him on the defensive. After a while Bia goes for the decisive blow; striking Victor with a large lunge forward. Victor notices the approach and does and upward strike against her practice sword, knocking it out of her hand. Bia falls on her knees which is followed by Victor placing his practise sword against her chest. Victor has won. Bia looks agitated, but that look quickly changes into a small smile.
‘’Well done Victor. You swiftly changed the tide of this battle. You were a fierce opponent.’’ She says. Victor grabs Bia’s sword and holds it under his arm. He reaches his other arm out towards Bia to help her up.
‘’Care for another round?’’ he asks. Bia takes his hand to get up but shakes her head.
‘’Not today sparring partner. One defeat is enough for now.’’ She says. Victor places the two wooden swords in a tube. Bia starts leaning against the wall to rest while Victor grabs his sword and starts inspecting it.
‘’Do you ever feel like our expeditions are not challenging enough?’’ he asks. Bia raises an eyebrow.
‘’I don’t see a need to make them more difficult. Anticipating the different situations that could occur is enough of a challenge already. Besides, making things more difficult without reason sounds an awful lot like showing off.’’ Bia answers.
‘’It is not necessarily showing off but making the amazing stories being told even more grandiose. With odds stacked against you and still coming out on top! That is what drives a good story!’’ Victor says.

The door to the gym opens and shortly after Hatice walks inside. She is wearing a set of metal armour held together by belts and rope. The armour is too large for her. Supposed to cover only the torso it also covers most of her legs. She clumsily walks into the room.
‘’Why do I need to wear this again? You are not going to charge at me right!?’’ Hatice asks nervously. Victor looks at her, especially the parts that keep her armour intact.
‘’Of course not. A true gentleman would never do that.’’ He says while putting his sword in its sheet. Hatice blows a sigh of relief.
‘’Thank goodness. I was thinking you were going to……’’ before Hatice can finish her sentence Victor swiftly unsheathes his sword and charges at her. With a few swift and precise strikes he breaks the belts and ropes holding the armour together. The armour falls on the ground around her while she remains unharmed. All that escapes Hatice’s mouth is a high pitched yelp. Victor steps back and puts away his sword. Hatice takes a few seconds to regain her composure before she erupts in rage.
‘’Really Victor!? Is that how you treat a fellow explorer!? SWORD PRACTICE!? Is a regular target dummy not enough!? I could have been seriously injured if any of us made a small mistake!’’ she yells angrily. She walks out of the room, closing the door behind her with a loud bang. Victor picks up the armour.
‘’Was that really worth is?’’ Bia asks. Victor keeps looking at the recently closed door.
‘’I simply wish to improve myself. I know I can achieve more, become better…’’ he says.
‘’You could, of course, just ignore the regulations and make it more difficult for yourself.’’ Bia suggests.
‘’It ‘might’ even retain some of your friendships here. As Hatice portrayed that most people don’t want to be your target dummy.’’ She says with a slight smile.
‘’For the sake of myself and that of others, I shall take your challenge.’’ Victor says.

Rules:
  • Victor Signac has to be your Captain
  • Your crew can be anyone
  • You must play Victor's "The Veteran" Storycard*
  • You must visit all three 5 star expeditions as your 4th, 5th and 6th expeditions**
  • Only the 5 star expeditions matter for your score
  • You must play on Adventure mode.
Notes:
* While it is highly recommended you reset/restart if you failed to draw the card, or dont have the "More to Explore" expansion, you can still enter without it. Only your two valid expeditions will be counted in this case, and your maximum medal is limited to silver.
** This requires you to press the "One more Expedition" button after the normal 5, dont forget because cant get back to it once you click away.

Scoring:
Your Score is the Renown from 5 star expeditions, the renown gained from previous expeditions or the worldmap is not counted.

Screenshots of each 5 star expedition are required, along with one of the expedition worldmap (preferably after you're done) to show how many you've done.
  • BRONZE: 2500 Renown (1MP*)
  • SILVER: 6000 Renown (2MP*)
  • GOLD: 12000 Renown (3MP*)
  • PLATINUM: 17000 Renown (3MP+**)
* Number of medal points awarded when playing on Classic Difficulty. Easy and Normal give less, according to these rules.
Gold and Platinum medals may only be achieved without losing, though Silver and Bronze are still possible to get with just the Record sheet for that trip.
** The platinum medal is extraordinary and can only be achieved on Classic or Impossible difficulty without losing. It doesn't increase Medal Points further than a Gold medal, but we will track how many you have.

How to participate
You can participate with a highscore, a story or both.

Stories
Write a story. Use the Challenge theme as an inspiration by looking at the constraints. Find other stories in the Fan Story directory or by looking at previous challenges.
Post your story in a new topic in these forums.
Also link to it to this thread with a comment: Include the first paragraph/few lines of your story in the post here to show readers what your story is about.

Highscores
Play the game according to the challenge rules and in Adventure mode.
Post in this topic a screenshot of your Win Screen*, right after the ceremony or your Leaderboard record.* Also include a text version of your score with the submission to allow for error checking.
Submit by 12:00 noon CET, 18/12/2020 (Or 12/18/2020 for those using MM/DD/YY)
(click here for your local time equivalent )
NOTE: Only one score will be accepted - only one submission for each player please. If you wish to enter a new score, please edit your initial entry and make it clear which score you are submitting, and add the word "EditGreenlight" to the entry so we can see immediately when the result needs updating.
*If you forget to screenshot the Win screen, you can also enter with a screenshot of your Leaderboards: Go to Main Menu > Leaderboards > Local > click the entry that matches your submission game > screenshot those details.

dont forget to use "One more Expedition" and to screenshot your 5 star expeditions

Game Version
Must be Build 522 or later

Story ideas: What was the outcome of previous duels? Why was Hatice chosen to wear the armour? Why are there regulations in the first place?

For the previous challenge - Challenge #196: The Final Five - click here