What's new

Feedback after ”Create your own religion”

straylight

Hi, Monks! I have fired up the game this evening after a several month break to see how you implemented this new patch.

- I like the idea of a ”tech tree”, but currently the effects of the developments feel slow and unrewarding. I tried the Lust tree and there were nodes that improved future disciples. But I was still several turns away from the next recruitment stage. Picking Animism gave me options to upgrade some miracle nodes -- but I had already used the Hunting Lodge on most of my miracle-worthy disciples, and for the other buildings first of all I need materials, then miracle xp, then maybe the disciple wants to go on a sacrament... So again lots of waiting. The most exciting upgrade was the Tree because it straight up improved damage, no waiting required.
- I played on Normal but at almost all times I felt like I couldn't draw my breath after a sacrament. Three turns felt too short to prepare and running into the orange or red felt like a punishment. I always had to focus on tending my strongest disciples and barely every managed to do anything with my new recruits, that needed xp and miracles. And my mains were frequently low hp or low faith. It just felt bad to go into battle in that state. Adding crystal skulls only worsened this feeling of being rushed. The pace overall feels bad to me personally, whereas Renowned Explorers for example gave me a serious case of ”one more turn”. I feel like Godhood just doesn't allow me to play a more ”turtling” style game, which is what I like. I still haven't ever gotten past Tlaloc's island since the beginning of this Early Acces.
- I like the fact that there is a little bit of passive income every turn.
- I like the rules changes to Sacraments and that Knowledge is an exception, enabling disciples to sometimes attack a more suitable target than the one in front of them.
- Behaviours and outfits are nice to flesh out life in the city, but I was a bit taken aback when I first got the pop-ups for them. For a while I thought these new behaviours have an actual effect on gameplay, but I think they don't? And I also liked that houses pop up around the city.
- Dunno if this is a bug, but whenever I get the option to recruit new disciples and the screen zooms in on the city center, the animations lasts way too long before the cards with the disciples appear.

Hope you can improve on the pacing. Maybe ultimately though this is just not the style of game for me. I saw elsewhere on the forum that someone was comparing it to a sports roster management game... Good luck anyway!

Wendek

Picking Animism gave me options to upgrade some miracle nodes -- but I had already used the Hunting Lodge on most of my miracle-worthy disciples
I mostly agree with you (especially about the pacing, although you do have the option to play "Serene" and remove the time pressure), but I wanted to point out quickly that miracle improvements are retroactive. For instance when you Dedicate a Statue in one of your miracle buildings, it automatically improves the stats of all the Disciples who already got a miracle done in this building. You can check it out by mousing over the miracle description of a given Disciple before and after the improvement, and the new value will be shown. So you don't have to feel bad about getting improvements to your miracles a bit late as it should still provide you with plenty of benefits.

straylight

I did play Serene, but the Crystals were still there even though the description says you don't lose the game when you run out. In my opinion, if a resource plays no role in a given game mode, it shouldn't be there. Otherwise I still heed it and feel I miscalculated my strategy if I run out. You could argue that I should just ignore it if I'm playing serene, but it's right there in your face in the City View, in Map View on important nodes and it pops up dramatically at the beginning of every sacrament.

Good to hear that upgrades that affect miracles are retroactive! I checked the tech tree and it is indeed phrased in such a way as to imply both past and present. Though the fact that I assumed it was only future was probably because all the other developments I had gotten apply to future disciples.

Rascull

I started Godhood after a while. i got lost right at the beginning... so many systems and subsystems and subscreens and shit. this game is only a menue, nothing else

- Dunno if this is a bug, but whenever I get the option to recruit new disciples and the screen zooms in on the city center, the animations lasts way too long before the cards with the disciples appear.
It was taking like two minutes near the end of my game as disciples wandered in from the far ends of my sprawling village. I know everyone in the village is excited about the new recruits, but maybe you could use fast mode like after you hit next day or just skip the walking entirely? Especially since it is so zoomed in you can't see any of the walking around part.

Rutger

Abbey Games Developer
Developer
It was taking like two minutes near the end of my game as disciples wandered in from the far ends of my sprawling village. I know everyone in the village is excited about the new recruits, but maybe you could use fast mode like after you hit next day or just skip the walking entirely? Especially since it is so zoomed in you can't see any of the walking around part.
Yep, definitely something we want to fix in the next update :)