What's new

Issues with the current build's progression/difficulty

Blackvision

Kickstarter Backer Community Member for 2 years
The other big problem currently is the difficulty stumbling block: As soon as you beat the old city, you need to already be tough enough to start taking on the second set of islands - if you can't (eg. you aren't playing either Nature or Divine with enough buffs) you will fail. The difficulty spike isn't something I'm totally against (though it could be gentler), but it goes hand in hand with another issue: The morale - you can hammer them over and over to level up, but once your faith drops, your disciples are useless, both for levelling and sacraments.

Every loss = faith loss for disciples even without losing all their spirit (which is catastrophic enough) - I'm not sure how much of that is because of direct faith loss and how much is due to the insanely big faith buff they don't get when they don't win.

Another issue with the sudden difficulty spike is that up to and including the old city, it's extremely easy: nothing to indicate that there's a difficulty spike coming or prepare you for it when it does, making it a brick wall to get through.

Blackvision

Losing seems to work mostly alright, though the box pops up twice in a row - you click the "..." and it comes up a second time, but after that, all's good.

Blackvision

And what the heck is up with these difficulty numbers? (Playing Chastity) :s

(Ignore me, this is just impossible setting. Though even then, the difficulty numbers seen drastically incorrect in comparison to the lower level equivalents - possibly just because buffed up acolytes are still wussy compared to full classes?)

Last edited:

Blackvision

I'll also note that the current setup really punishes making any errors in the village - if you don't get the maximum resources/XP you can out of a sacrament, you are going to do less well. If you fail to min/max, you're going to suffer for it.

Blackvision

It's also annoying with the 3-inspiration limit that if, for example, your three most faithful disciples are also, as it happens, your sacrament disciples (likely to be the case), you have to remember to switch other disciples in to jobs before you go on a sacrament by disabling anyone you're taking. That can lead to a lot of back and forth between the village and the world map while you work out who's doing what where, and is exceedingly irritating.

Blackvision

The amount of Worshipper Support you get is also pretty minimal - I've noticed this before, but forgot to mention it: at the start, you either can't afford a really good disciple, or you can, but it means you have to either leave a slot empty or have the worst disciples in all the other slots.

Mid-game, it's a big issue: you can't actually get decent enough levelling disciples because of low support, meaning that while they may have better stats, by the time they're maxed out, they won't be that great.

End-game, you can't have more than 1 team if they're all fantastic starting disciples or can't have more than 1 great disciple without sacrificing any others just to make sure you get 1 team for sacraments and 1 team for the village.

It's a kick in the teeth when you get a full set of great disciples like this, as you'll never be able to take even half of them. Not to mention that, even if you sacrificed all your current disciples, you then have to level up acolytes, which can be extremely difficult with only 1 XP building and no weak sacraments left. You virtually have to store up a bunch of easier sacraments just in case this happens.

I experienced the impossible to get out of downward spiral as well. It's pretty easy to get to a point where you can't win any of the sacraments available without getting really lucky with evade/defy/crits/random ability targetting, but it takes another 40 turns to actually lose the game.

One thing that might help a bit would be having vision of the second island a little bit earlier. Then you can potentially start to prepare your new disciples to face the upcoming elements. This would be even more important if/when the order enemy gods are encountered is randomized, which I'm guessing is probably the plan some day.