What's new

Newbie FAQ

Tygoth

Ok, actually these questions haven't been asked a lot... yet. But if I start asking them and you guys either start answering them in replies (I'll try and edit this post with the answers) or start asking more questions, it might turn into a handy list. If not of questions that didn't need to be frequently asked - because they were allready answered in the forum-, then at least as a guideline for the devs for things to explain more clearly in the game. So eitherway, hoping this turns out to be something usefull.

FAITH
  • The first Ritual you encounter ingame is praying at the holy site, increasing faith. Does faith drop steadily over time if no actions are taken?
    It does drop a little every turn since the WotP update.
  • Is a happy disciple always obidient is his tasks and a ecstatic one passionate?
    Nope, it's a random roll. That's what those little faces mean you mentioned earlier. I'm leaning towards showing you the percentage outcomes when you assign a Disciple to do a task.
  • Next to my first disciple is a small number (for Power). What does this mean?
    It's your Disciples POWER LEVEL! The higher, the better! Power is a general indicator of how good they are in Sacraments, calculated using (afaik) mostly their stats, but also the level of their abilities and passives. When you go to Sacraments, you'll see the enemy's power level too - this can give a good basic idea of how ready you are to battle them by comparing yours to theirs, though remember it doesn't take into account comparisons between elements, classes, passives, etc.
SACRAMENTS
  • The first Sacrement (after the one you always lose with your first disciple) requires you to pick 3 disciples for 3 slots. Does it matter where they are placed? Do they tend to strike horizontally to the foe across them?
    Certain abilities are labeled 'Target Across'; these will target the enemy on the other side. Outside of that, you can order them to cast certain abilities before others; from top to bottom. So you might want to put a Disciple that lowers an enemy armor at the top, so a DPS disciple below him can take advantage of it!
    But there's a lot of tactical approaches for placement. See this thread for a few examples.
  • When playing with Lust, you are told which gender a character is interested in. Do both characters need to be interested in each other or is it enough to have be the gender the foe is interested in?
    It's enough for your foe to be interested in your Disciples' gender.
  • All attacks do damage, either physical or morale. Is all damage taken from the same center hit points bar, your Awe Points?
    Yes, Physical and Morale are just the type of damage, both are just damage once applied though - they just use different base stats (and derived stats): physical uses Might, Cunning and is defended by Health while Morale uses the others.
    They also damage the enemy disciple directly, which might cause them to BREAK and leave combat.
  • Does the total of a seperate characters health bar contribute in any way to the center hit points bar?
    No, Awe is completely separate from your Disciple's HP.
    Awe is entirely dependant on your God Level (and a few things can increase it like Relics, Songsmith Passives, etc)
MIRACLES
  • Directly after the first battle you can pick new classes for 2 disciples. In the selection screen you are told which 2 stats are the most important. However, upon arriving in your village you can pick a Miracle site. You want one your new classes benefit from. Is the only way to be remembered about the 2 imporant ones for each character to mouseover the stats points in their character screen before building a Miracle site?
    Currently, yes. You can also hover over their abilities to see which stats those abilities benefit off of. It's in the ability tooltip under 'Stat bonus' I believe!
    -Note that these two important stats are now marked with a little star in the Disciple Overview!-
  • Some rituals boost a single stat, others more at the same time. Is the single stat boost always a larger number then?
    These single vs double stats aren't any better on a base level (even the single-stat ones actually boost another stat too, just not defined clearly on the building description), but all of them offer various different benefits when you get the best miracle result (Wondrous miracles) too - these aren't very clearly shown at present and are basically only found out by exploring them currently. For example,
    the Prayer Site Wondrous Miracle gives +5 Faith as well as more stats, while the Market Wondrous Miracle can give Skyshards or Offerings
  • What does Health do? The Herders Hut miracle says it increases physical defenses. Mouseover in the character screen says it determines physical armor, increases ally block chances ánd increases Spirit.
    It does all of those things! More Health means you can withstand more physical hits. Devotion is the same as Health, but for Morale attacks instead of Physical ones.
    Spirit = Disciple health, physical armour = reduction of physical damage when hit, block chance = chance of jumping in front of an ally who's receiving damage and taking the hit instead (they only do it if A) the hit would KO their ally or B) they'd take less damage than their ally, and they don't do it if it'd KO them. Health increases all of these - various disciple backgrounds, classes, passives, relics, etc can all increase some/all of these.
  • What is Spirit? It says it's the amount of hits you can take before leaving a battle. Is that the same as your health bar in sacraments?
    The health bar is the Spirit Bar; so yes :)
    -Please note that the Spirit Bar is still in several places revered to as Health Points or HP-
  • (Why do I only now notice Might/Charisma, Health/Devotion and Cunning/Knowledge are the same thing, except for physical and morale damage?)
    Haha! You're correct there :)
  • What is a good strategy for Faith and MIracles? Only perform when feeling ecstatic?
    You can roll the dice sometimes, but you can spend some time upping someone's Faith to at least Happy if they're neutral. Currently, you can't 'grind' Faith to become higher than Happy, so I'd stick with that at most.
    Always try to maximise Faith before doing a miracle. You may not always be able to get them Ecstatic (The Holy Site buff only stacks twice and you need 50+ Faith to hit Ecstatic), but I'd recommend a minimum of 'Happy' (+20 Faith) before doing miracles if you intend to use the Disciple in Sacraments properly to get the highest chance for Wondrous Miracles.
  • What is the relation between the World Map button and the Next Turn button? I think the game always advances a turn after a sacrament.
    Yes, Sacraments always advance the turn. The main reason for the Turn button is in case you don't want to do a sacrament but do want to let time pass.
  • What happens with your disciples if you make them skip a turn? How long does healing take or does every disciple recharged immediately between battles? How long does recovering take?
    Recovery can take a little time, but afaik recovery is equal if they're spending time in the village at all, doing jobs or not. I don't think I've ever seen recovery take longer than a year unless the Disciple's been broken (lost all spirit) in a sacrament, then it can take a few turns more to return to full spirit, but the recovery rate is pretty fast. If left without a job, the Disciples will idle about or do minor jobs, sometimes picking up a resource or two (though always a tiny amount)
    Healing does not happen automatically over time. You will need to inspire any wounded disciples to go to a Garden to heal for a number of turns.
  • Why does it feel the houses always plop down when you load your village screen? Are they being improved or just loaded?
    Both :)
CLASSES
  • There are 5 (damage) types. Does each of them comes with a class of disciples with physical abilities and one with morale abilites, making for a total of 10 classes?
    No, currently these are all available classes.
INSPECTION MODE
  • When hitting space during sacrament battles, inspection mode is toggled. At first glance, this appears to be a summary of general stats, combined with current active abilities and theirnumeric influences. Do negative armor numbers mean you'll get an increased amount of damage (as opposed to less damage for a positive armor number)?
    They do, it now shows in a red mouse over how much extra damage will be done when the number is negative!
  • Sometimes a number is green. Can I assume that number is improved in any way during this battle?
    Green means it's been buffed/improved. Currently that seems to be both in-sacrament buffs and relics/exterior boosts applied to the disciple's stats. (Red means debuffed too. typically only through enemy abilities)
  • Mouseover most stats just explains their general use, but not the reason for the green improvement. Is there somewhere you can check this?
    Not in Sacrament. Some might be explained by the various buffs on the disciple (the square icons below the disciple, which mouse-over tool-tips)
  • Can you also see red numbers for decreased values? If so, why are negative armor numbers not always red?
    Yes. I don't think the derived stats show penalties that are due to *other* stats being reduced. Eg. If Health is reduced, that reduces armour, but there's no direct penalty on the armour itself.
  • Mouseover the armor numbers gives you the % they actually will negate. How do these numbers relate? You would say a higher number means a higher % negated, but they don't seem to scale the same. Also, sometimes a negative number still negates some damage.
    The Reduction scales with the armour, but it's not a linear scale: as it gets higher the reduction per armour point shrinks. None the less, more armour = better, even if the difference is <1%. If they just displayed the reduction, it'd be difficult to indicate how much difference a single buff/stat/relic/etc would make, and when you've got several, it gets very confusing, while a linear armour value makes it much easier to see the degree of improvement per bonus.
  • Why are enemy spirit points not shown?
    They were hidden at one point in beta so that there was a degree of unpredictability. Whether that's still needed, I'm not so sure, had a lot of requests for it to be shown! (and it'd make the individual damage amounts much more important, while currently you just have to guess or wait and see)
RELICS
  • When finding a Relic, you have to bless it with a disciple. I assume this factually creates the kind of Relic you receive. Does a relic of a certain damage type always improves the stats associated with that type? For example, will Ancestral Relics always somehow improve Health and Might?
    The relics are all elemental - and in general, yes, it's based on the classes of that element. Downside? It's not actually all the classes, just the ones that were around when the relics were made. So, for example, Ancestral was based on Rage Prophets. Since then, Ambassadors have arrived, meaning that an Ambassador blessing one will get a sucky melee relic by default :p (Other ones to watch for: Dark = Weaver, Divine = Smitesword, Life = Songsmith, Nature = Beastwalker/Druid but basically health/cunning ) Hopefully, that'll get some updates to improve relic relevance.
MIRACLE CHARGING
  • When fighting in Sacraments, disciples gain experience, filling a new Miracle Charge. How is this calculated? Is being present enough to gain experience or does it scale with damage inflicted? Is it always the same amount of experience that is need to charge a miracle or does this increases based on your disciples power?
    Just being present - each level needs a set number of (incrementally increasing) sacraments. However, I think there's also a power level cap - if too high above the enemy power levels, a disciple does gain exp. Either that or it's a bug with a similar effect. However, there's no difference in exp gained provided they're gaining exp at all.

RESOURCES
  • How many resources are there? I know of Offerings, Fanatics, Sky Shards, Bloodlust/Serentiy and Mystica. Where can I find my Mystica points? I keep earning and losing them but can't find them anywhere.
    Currently, just those + the other two commandment's ones. Mystica technically exists, but it's been removed from basically everything currently and can't be spent or seen in the list. (you still get it from retiring disciples, for example)
TOTEMS
  • New disciples carry totems. Is there any way to get new totems?
    Currently, only new disciples. It's a bit like a star-sign or a background for them - it makes the disciple individual beyond the classes or choices you make: part of what makes them them. There are some extremely rare ones though. Eg.
    The Vampire Squid totem! It's green, but shows up less than most purple ones
  • Some totems will make attributes rise whenever the disciple performs a miracle. Is that standard +1? Do good totems make for a +2 rise maybe?
    Haven't checked the exact stat raises, but yeah, it's a significant difference between the different totem stat ranks. Wouldn't be surprised if it's something like +1/+1.5/+2 etc.
  • Totems can also improve the chances of learning new and better abilities. Are some abilities locked for disciples with poor totems or can all disciples eventually learn all abilities for their class?
    They're not linked to the totems, despite being displayed with them. They're individual stats - two of the same totem can have different Passive/Ability stats. More Ability stars increase the chance of them learning abilities each miracle, and very high ones can cause multiple abilities to be learnt in a single miracle. Sometimes that can also upgrade existing abilities to a higher level.Passives, afaik do absolutely nothing. It might be that they have a higher chance of triggering passives etc, but I've not noticed any evidence of it as yet. It certainly makes no difference to which you learn.
DISCIPLE LIFE CYCLE
  • Do disciples age when they're available to be summoned but you didn't pick them yet?
    No. Which is weird, but no, they don't :p
  • Disciples start aging at age 45, decreasing all stats by another extra 10% each year, right?
    every 5 years
  • Is that elderly decrease calculated from the base values when the disciple started aging, or just from the ones from the year before?
    Hadn't checked, but believe it's the ones before aging - basically just a final multiplier for them
  • Disciples can only perform 4 miracles in their life. After that, they stop charging for a new miracle. Only ways to improve them after that is by better relics are using Sky Shards in the Sun Stone, is that correct?
    Individually, yes. As a whole, better stats from the folklore and totems on new disciples (folklore =
    the stat bonuses on new disciples you get on the map
  • That would misclicking on the wrong miracle when they jump around before you have to pick them that much worse, won't it?
    Yes :D Plus side, new disciples will always be better until you've got no more folklore to collect on the map
  • What can you do with the resources you can earn in the temples of lust and war?
    Those temples are Rituals, but upgrading them gets you Miracle bonuses as well "Improve all Miracles in this Ritual" How should this be used?
    In all the commandment temples, you can get a special miracle (which isn't activated on the miracles action :( ) So Peace = Peace Envoy, War = Raid, Lust = Festival of Lust, Chastity = ...cleansing ritual? Something like that. They're all *much* more powerful than the normal miracles, but can only be done when the disciple has enough miracles completed and you have the resources for them. That said, you only unlock your second commandment's one right at the end, so might not get much use of it.
  • Is there a maximum value for stats?
    Nope! Abuse at will!
  • There are only 4 passive choices for each class. What happens to a disciple with more stars for Passive? They still have to pick one of the two available choices when leveling up, right?
    Afaik, nothing. I had hoped it'd trigger them more often, but... not afaik.
  • When the game advances, your miracles get better (there's 2 miracle statues to be earned), your new disciples train faster and they start with higher base values. Plus, you get a nice amount of resources when you dismiss a disciple. Is there any reason to keep an old disciple around (for long)?
    No. Obviously, some mind sets can be really useful, but it drops off fast with their stats. :p
  • Knowing that, what is the best strategy for Sky Shards (apart from mining them in your market)? Save them and use them all on your last generation of disciples?
    Currently, yes (unless you abuse something rather... wrong :p :
    Train up some disciples to burn - give them the Market miracle with the best chance of getting the Wondrous version: when you get it, you can pick for a worse miracle + 1 sky shard. So you can have as many as you like, it just takes time and disciples to burn
    Another way could potentially be to beat a particularly tough sacrament that's nasty for your team, but won't help if you end up stuck after it, so currently, not worth it in my opinion.
  • What happens when you dismiss your prophet? No one else is named prophet then?
    Nope, no one it named prophet :p
  • Only now finding out that you can click Initiate at any time to initiate a previously summoned new disciple. When the game starts you haven't summoned anyone and I just never clicked it afterwards. This is not a question, is it?
    No, it's not ;) Yeah, you can pick up initiates you haven't picked in your last 2 Coming of Ages with it (or just retire someone - even if just to get their relic back for free)
  • Do Ages have any impact at the moment? Do they advance after x many years or when you hit a certain milestone?
    After X years - basically every 4th of your total available time, it'll advance (eg. year 1, year 26, year 51, year 76 for a 100 year game). No impact on gameplay, though the music and some of the village cosmetics upgrade each age, I'm told by the devs :p
  • What are the different current ways to win the game? Win that one sacrament and/or become level 10?
    Yes! Reaching the end of the time (100/200/400 years) is technicallya win too, rather than a loss - you'll just get a less good god-rank (in theory. Actually managing to prolong the game that long would be a miracle too).
    Other ways to lose: Lose enough disciples to unfaithfulness. Given that it's virtually impossible to manage even one in the current build, it's not gonna happen :p

Thank you for all the answers, RickSo and Blackvision!

Last edited:

RickSo

Abbey Games Developer
Developer
Abbey Games Developer
Hiya Tygoth! Let me crack out the snorkel and dive right in:

Faith.
  • The first Ritual you encounter ingame is praying at the holy site, increasing faith. Does faith drop steadily over time if no actions are taken?
Specifically; it gives a +10 Faith Buff which lasts 8 days, I believe. So after that time the buff will go away.
  • When clicking on a disciple, underneath their avatar is a pretty clear point based explanation of faith points. Above that are some square faith icons, some neutral and some quite happy (but in another color then in the sidebar under the disciple). Mouseover says stuff like 'Only takes half the time!' What are these?
These are a holdover from a system, and we shouldn't be showing you :D They tell you the chances of the disciple performing well or badly on any given task you assign them to do. It's essentially a 'Mind' you roll, just like in the Sacrament.
  • What is the meaning of the different colors for faith status used?
Which colors are you referring to? Each Faith level has a color; blue is better, red is worse. Do you mean those?
If you mean the hearts, the colors of the hearts are frankly arbitrary; but each heart is a collection of faith buffs of different types.
  • Is a happy disciple always obidient is his tasks and a ecstatic one passionate?
Nope, it's a random roll. That's what those little faces mean you mentioned earlier. I'm leaning towards showing you the percentage outcomes when you assign a Disciple to do a task.
  • The time needed for a Ritual is 1 day. If I click the End turn button, the game forwards to the next season though. How long does one turn last? It does say a year has 3 days...
1 Day = 1 Season. We switched the word around here and there, but we should stick to one.
Which do you like better? Day or Season?
  • Next to my first disciple is a small number (for Power). What does this mean?
It's your Disciples POWER LEVEL! The higher, the better! Generally, it's an aggregate of your Disciples' stats & abilities gained.

Sacraments.

• The first Sacrement (after the one you always lose with your first disciple) requires you to pick 3 disciples for 3 slots. Does it matter where they are placed? Do they tend to strike horizontally to the foe across them?
Certain abilities are labeled 'Target Across'; these will target the enemy on the other side. Outside of that, you can order them to cast certain abilities before others; from top to bottom. So you might want to put a Disciple that lowers an enemy armor at the top, so a DPS disciple below him can take advantage of it!
  • When playing with Lust, you are told which gender a character is interested in. Do both characters need to be interested in each other or is it enough to have be the gender the foe is interested in?
It's enough for your foe to be interested in your Disciples' gender. Bit confusing isn't it? Thinking of removing attraction, honestly. What do you think?
  • All attacks do damage, either physical or morale. Is all damage taken from the same center hit points bar?
It is! They also damage the enemy disciple directly, which might cause them to BREAK and leave combat.
  • Does the total of a seperate characters health bar contribute in any way to the center hit points bar?
It does not. That'd be kinda cool though!

MIracles.

• Directly after the first battle you can pick new classes for 2 disciples. In the selection screen you are told which 2 stats are the most important. However, upon arriving in your village you can pick a Miracle site. You want one your new classes benefit from. Is the only way to be remembered about the 2 imporant ones for each character to mouseover the stats points in their character screen before building a Miracle site?
Currently, yes. You can also hover over their abilities to see which stats those abilities benefit off of. It's in the ability tooltip under 'Stat bonus' I believe!
  • Some rituals boost a single stat, others more at the same time. Is the single stat boost always a larger number then?
It is!
  • What does Health do? The Herders Hut miracle says it increases physical defenses. Mouseover in the character screen says it determines physical armor, increases ally block chances ánd increases Spirit.
It does all of those things! More Health means you can withstand more physical hits. Devotion is the same as Health, but for Morale attacks instead of Physical ones.
  • What is Spirit? It says it's the amount of hits you can take before leaving a battle. Is that the same as your health bar in sacraments?
The health bar is the Spirit Bar; so yes :)
  • (Why do I only now notice Might/Charisma, Health/Devotion and Cunning/Knowledge are the same thing, except for physical and morale damage?)
Haha! You're correct there :)
  • Is Farmlands the only bigger MIracle Site at this moment?
Yup!
  • What is a good strategy for Faith and MIracles? Only perform when feeling ecstatic?
You can roll the dice sometimes, but you can spend some time upping someone's Faith to at least Happy if they're neutral. Currently, you can't 'grind' Faith to become higher than Happy, so I'd stick with that at most.
  • What is the relation between the World Map button and the Next Turn button? I think the game always advances a turn after a sacrament.
Going on the Sacrament indeed also counts as going to the next turn. We're working to clear that up right now, actually!
  • What happens with your disciples if you make them skip a turn? How long does healing take or does every disciple recharged immediately between battles? How long does recovering take?
Recovery time depends on how hurt the Disciple was in the previous Sacrament! We're going to give more options to help your allies heal soon, so we'll probably expose the spirit bar in the list so you can see them heal in realtime.
  • Why does it feel the houses always plop down when you load your village screen? Are they being improved or just loaded?
Both :)
Hope that answers your questions Tygoth! I hope it also clears up stuff for others that were wondering these same things :)

Blackvision

Kickstarter Backer Community Member for 2 years
Faith:
  • No, it doesn't drop by itself, but the buff from the Holy Site only lasts 8 days (and only stacks twice) and other affects can change Disciple Faith levels.
  • They're an old system not currently displayed (probably still in use, but not displayed!) for doing jobs - the total faces are the total, each individual one represents how faithfully they'll do the task. I believe it's currently done each day for each job and the average result is reflected at the end in the quality of the work done (eg. Miracle results being better or worse when selected)
  • Not sure what you mean by different colours
  • Happy and Ecstatic are both positive levels of faith - Ecstatic is higher, but the result is RNG, just the higher ones are much more likely to receive better results (eg. Passionate)
  • The '1 Day' is actually 1 season. It's a left-over thing from when days were the turns :p (I have mentioned this to the devs for updating at some point, but bugs are probably higher priority)
  • Power is a general indicator of how good they are in Sacraments, calculated using (afaik) mostly their stats, but also the level of their abilities and passives. When you go to Sacraments, you'll see the enemy's power level too - this can give a good basic idea of how ready you are to battle them by comparing yours to theirs, though remember it doesn't take into account comparisons between elements, classes, passives, etc.
Sacraments:
  • For the first sacrament, not so much, but there's a lot of tactical approaches for placement. See this thread: https://community.abbeygames.com/threads/sacrament-combat-guide-aka-what-do-my-placement-choices-even-matter-anyway-for-sacraments.213/ for a few examples. (shameless self-plugging) ;)
  • Only the target's attraction matters. You can see yours for situations where it may be relevant to consider the enemy's lust powers. (none currently in the game that I know of)
  • Yes, Physical and Morale are just the type of damage, both are just damage once applied though - they just use different base stats (and derived stats): physical uses Might, Cunning and is defended by Health while Morale uses the others. There are some discussions currently about potential changes to this, but we'll see what the devs decide on.
  • No, Religion HP is completely separate from your Disciple's HP. Again, under discussion on the forums about potential changes, but we shall see. Religion HP is entirely dependant on your God Level (and a few things can increase it like Relics, Songsmith Passives, etc)
Miracles:
  • Currently, yes, just remembering and/or checking your Disciple Screens (on the ability tab you can check what boosts their damage or mousing over their class for the summary), but there have been requests to indicate it more clearly on the buildings too.
  • These single vs double stats aren't any better on a base level (even the single-stat ones actually boost another stat too, just not defined clearly on the building description), but all of them offer various different benefits when you get the best miracle result (Wondrous miracles) too - these aren't very clearly shown at present and are basically only found out by exploring them currently. For example,
    the Prayer Site Wondrous Miracle gives +5 Faith as well as more stats, while the Market Wondrous Miracle can give Skyshards or Offerings
  • Spirit = Disciple health, physical armour = reduction of physical damage when hit, block chance = chance of jumping in front of an ally who's receiving damage and taking the hit instead (they only do it if A) the hit would KO their ally or B) they'd take less damage than their ally, and they don't do it if it'd KO them. Health increases all of these - various disciple backgrounds, classes, passives, relics, etc can all increase some/all of these.
  • (see above) - it's Disciple health: the amount they can take before being knocked out for the sacrament. It's comparatively rare for you to get many KOs without also winning/losing the sacrament at the start, but later on it can be important to try and disable one enemy early, etc.
  • :D
  • Yes. Reasons unknown :p Guess they wanted lots of crops!
  • Always try to maximise Faith before doing a miracle. You may not always be able to get them Ecstatic (The Holy Site buff only stacks twice and you need 50+ Faith to hit Ecstatic), but I'd recommend a minimum of 'Happy' (+20 Faith) before doing miracles if you intend to use the Disciple in Sacraments properly to get the highest chance for Wondrous Miracles.
  • Yes, Sacraments always advance the turn. The main reason for the Turn button is in case you don't want to do a sacrament but do want to let time pass.
  • Recovery can take a little time, but afaik recovery is equal if they're spending time in the village at all, doing jobs or not. I don't think I've ever seen recovery take longer than a year unless the Disciple's been broken (lost all spirit) in a sacrament, then it can take a few turns more to return to full spirit, but the recovery rate is pretty fast. If left without a job, the Disciples will idle about or do minor jobs, sometimes picking up a resource or two (though always a tiny amount)
  • Fairly sure they're being loaded and then upgraded again if they've already been upgraded previously. I imagine that's a work in progress :p

Sorkal

Kickstarter Backer
1 Day = 1 Season. We switched the word around here and there, but we should stick to one.
Which do you like better? Day or Season?
I like season more, it makes it seem more natural to advance in years. (and also miracles/jobs like war raid etc. takes time, even if I hope the human sacrifice is quicker than 1/3 of a year :eek: )

It's enough for your foe to be interested in your Disciples' gender. Bit confusing isn't it? Thinking of removing attraction, honestly. What do you think?
Tricky question... One possibilty to change the lust priest could be to make it a second tank: Enemies that they attack have a higher/definite chance to attack him in the next turn, but deal less damage (20-50%?), since they are attracted to them.
The attraction mechanic is fitting to the lust commandment, but the way it is right now makes it really hard to use. I liked the lust priest and be able to reduce the enemies armor and then really hit them with my damage dealers, but when half the enemy team is resistant...

Tygoth

Haha!! Double the answers for our good Tygoth!
Ghehe thanks a lot. Wasn't expecting to have all questions answered so soon, let alone twice! :D
I'll try to incorporate both answers in the opening post.
And breed on some more...

About the colors of the faith symbols, they are perfectly clear in hindsight. Just confused them with the Obedience symbols (which are the same, except they use different kinds of green in stead of blue) which are used in the Rituals and in the old system with Base actions and Faith actions where obedience was picked from.

Definitely would prefer seasons to days as a name for the game turns. Not really sure which three seasons that would be though ...(dry, rainy and hurricane season??)

I do like the idea of attraction when playing with Lust. Might not have experienced enough of it to properly understand the current system.
Maybe each attack would have a change to 'win someone over', after which all attacks from that disciple would cause more damage.
Winover chance could be based on attraction as a base value ("I think I like this gender better..."),
plus a growing value which could based on a specific stat ("... but that was before I met THIS disciple!") Something like that?

Last edited:

Tygoth

And a batch of new follow up questions to extend the topic!
Don't expect this many on a daily base though...

Classes.
  • There are 5 (damage) types. Does each of them comes with a class of disciples with physical abilities and one with morale abilites, making for a total of 10 classes?

Inspection Mode
  • When hitting space during sacrament battles, inspection mode is toggled. At first glance, this appears to be a summary of general stats, combined with current active abilities and theirnumeric influences. Do negative armor numbers mean you'll get an increased amount of damage (as opposed to less damage for a positive armor number)?
  • Sometimes a number is green. Can I assume that number is improved in any way during this battle?
  • Mouseover most stats just explains their general use, but not the reason for the green improvement. Is there somewhere you can check this?
  • Can you also see red numbers for decreased values? If so, why are negative armor numbers not always red?
  • Mouseover the armor numbers gives you the % they actually will negate. How do these numbers relate? You would say a higher number means a higher % negated, but they don't seem to scale the same. Also, sometimes a negative number still negates some damage.
  • Why are enemy spirit points not shown?

Relics.
  • When finding a Relic, you have to bless it with a disciple. I assume this factually creates the kind of Relic you receive. Does a relic of a certain damage type always improves the stats associated with that type? For example, will Ancestral Relics always somehow improve Health and Might?

Miracle Charging
  • When fighting in Sacraments, disciples gain experience, filling a new Miracle Charge. How is this calculated? Is being present enough to gain experience or does it scale with damage inflicted?
  • Is it always the same amount of experience that is need to charge a miracle or does this increases based on your disciples power?

Upgrading
  • It appears most buildings can be upgraded. Your starting holy site however can't. Is there a reason for this?
Resources
  • How many resources are there? I know of Offerings, Fanatics, Sky Shards, Bloodlust/Serentiy and Mystica.
  • Why can I find Mystica points? I keep earning and losing them but can't find them anywhere.

Totems
  • New disciples carry totems. Is there any way to get new totems?
  • Some totems will make attributes rise whenever the disciple performs a miracle. Is that standard +1? Do good totems make for a +2 rise maybe?
  • Totems can also improve the chances of learning new and better abilities. Are some abilities locked for disciples with poor totems or can all disciples eventually learn all abilities for their class?

Last edited:

Blackvision

*watches Rick closely in case he's typing when I am*

Classes

Question for a dev! *sigh* go on then Rick :p
So far, not entirely, but I know not all the classes are done, so... *shrug*

Inspection Mode
  • Should be. Not sure if it actually *does* so though. :p
  • Green means it's been buffed/improved. Currently that seems to be both in-sacrament buffs and relics/exterior boosts applied to the disciple's stats. (Red means debuffed too. typically only through enemy abilities)
  • Not in Sacrament. Some might be explained by the various buffs on the disciple (the square icons below the disciple, which mouse-over tool-tips)
  • Yes. I don't think the derived stats show penalties that are due to *other* stats being reduced. Eg. If Health is reduced, that reduces armour, but there's no direct penalty on the armour itself.
  • The Reduction scales with the armour, but it's not a linear scale: as it gets higher the reduction per armour point shrinks. None the less, more armour = better, even if the difference is <1%. If they just displayed the reduction, it'd be difficult to indicate how much difference a single buff/stat/relic/etc would make, and when you've got several, it gets very confusing, while a linear armour value makes it much easier to see the degree of improvement per bonus.
  • They were hidden at one point in beta so that there was a degree of unpredictability. Whether that's still needed, I'm not so sure, had a lot of requests for it to be shown! (and it'd make the individual damage amounts much more important, while currently you just have to guess or wait and see)
Relics
  • The relics are all elemental - and in general, yes, it's based on the classes of that element. Downside? It's not actually all the classes, just the ones that were around when the relics were made. So, for example, Ancestral was based on Rage Prophets. Since then, Ambassadors have arrived, meaning that an Ambassador blessing one will get a sucky melee relic by default :p (Other ones to watch for: Dark = Weaver, Divine = Smitesword, Life = Songsmith, Nature = Beastwalker/Druid but basically health/cunning )
    Hopefully, that'll get some updates to improve relic relevance.
Miracle Charging
  • Just being present - each level needs a set number of (incrementally increasing) sacraments. However, I think there's also a power level cap - if too high above the enemy power levels, a disciple does gain exp. Either that or it's a bug with a similar effect. However, there's no difference in exp gained provided they're gaining exp at all.
  • (see above)
Upgrading
  • They've been adding more upgrades as time's gone by. The original upgrades for the holy site centre were... extremely abusable *looks innocent*. So blame me (and possibly some other beta testers) for them being removed :p
Resources
  • Currently, just those + the other two commandment's ones. Mystica technically exists, but it's been removed from basically everything currently and can't be spent or seen in the list. (you still get it from retiring disciples, for example).
  • See above :p
Totems
  • Currently, only new disciples. It's a bit like a star-sign or a background for them - it makes the disciple individual beyond the classes or choices you make: part of what makes them them. There are some extremely rare ones though. Eg.
    The Vampire Squid totem! It's green, but shows up less than most purple ones
  • Haven't checked the exact stat raises, but yeah, it's a significant difference between the different totem stat ranks. Wouldn't be surprised if it's something like +1/+1.5/+2 etc.
  • They're not linked to the totems, despite being displayed with them. They're individual stats - two of the same totem can have different Passive/Ability stats. More Ability stars increase the chance of them learning abilities each miracle, and very high ones can cause multiple abilities to be learnt in a single miracle. Sometimes that can also upgrade existing abilities to a higher level.
    Passives, afaik do absolutely nothing. It might be that they have a higher chance of triggering passives etc, but I've not noticed any evidence of it as yet. It certainly makes no difference to which you learn.

Ha! Beat you Rick! :p

Tygoth

Thanks again for the many (and fast :p) answers Blackvision!
You seem to know quite a lot!
That just leaves Rick some factchecking and I think two questions you were not sure of...

Blackvision

Yup :p
Was an Alpha > Beta tester.

"Back when I played this game, it was real-time in the village and you could pick a favoured ability in combat!" etc ;)

Rutger

Abbey Games Developer
Developer
The joys of having to support a live game while simultaneously working to get big changes out as fast as you can ;)

Blackvision

The issue of remember whether you did patch something or something else made it irrelevant. Or whether that bug fix was on a later version that was then scrapped ;)

(Yes, I remember that one in RE:IS) :p

Tygoth

Just same mid/late game questions to conclude this topic for now if I might?

Disciple life cycle

• Do disciples age when they're available to be summoned but you didn't pick them yet?
  • Disciples start aging at age 45, decreasing all stats by another extra 10% each year, right?
  • Is that elderly decrease calculated from the base values when the disciple started aging, or just from the ones from the year before?
  • Disciples can only perform 4 miracles in their life. After that, they stop charging for a new miracle. Only ways to improve them after that is by better relics are using Sky Shards in the Sun Stone, is that correct?
  • That would misclicking on the wrong miracle when they jump around before you have to pick them that much worse, won't it?
  • What can you do with the resources you can earn in the temples of lust and war?
  • Those temples are Rituals, but upgrading them gets you Miracle bonuses as well "Improve all Miracles in this Ritual" How should this be used?
  • Is there a maximum value for stats?
  • There are 4 reasons for Faith changes displayed in the Disciple overview. Is there a way to get benefits from Personal Bond or Achievements at this moment?
  • There are only 4 passive choices for each class. What happens to a disciple with more stars for Passive? They still have to pick one of the two available choices when leveling up, right?
  • When the game advances, your miracles get better (there's 2 miracle statues to be earned), your new disciples train faster and they start with higher base values. Plus, you get a nice amount of resources when you dismiss a disciple. Is there any reason to keep an old disciple around (for long)?
  • Knowing that, what is the best strategy for Sky Shards (apart from mining them in your market)? Save them and use them all on your last generation of disciples?
  • What happens when you dismiss your prophet? No one else is named prophet then?
  • Only now finding out that you can click Initiate at any time to initiate a previously summoned new disciple. When the game starts you haven't summoned anyone and I just never clicked it afterwards. This is not a question, is it?
  • Do Ages have any impact at the moment? Do they advance after x many years or when you hit a certain milestone?
  • What are the different current ways to win the game? Win that one sacrament and/or become level 10?

Last edited:

Blackvision

• No. Which is weird, but no, they don't :p
  • every 5 years
  • Hadn't checked, but believe it's the ones before aging - basically just a final multiplier for them
  • Individually, yes. As a whole, better stats from the folklore and totems on new disciples (folklore =
    the stat bonuses on new disciples you get on the map
    )
  • Yes :D Plus side, new disciples will always be better until you've got no more folklore to collect on the map
  • In all the commandment temples, you can get a special miracle (which isn't activated on the miracles action :( ) So Peace = Peace Envoy, War = Raid, Lust = Festival of Lust, Chastity = ...cleansing ritual? Something like that. They're all *much* more powerful than the normal miracles, but can only be done when the disciple has enough miracles completed and you have the resources for them. That said, you only unlock your second commandment's one right at the end, so might not get much use of it.
  • (see above)
  • Nope! Abuse at will!
  • Not currently.
  • Afaik, nothing. I had hoped it'd trigger them more often, but... not afaik.
  • No. Obviously, some mind sets can be really useful, but it drops off fast with their stats. :p
  • Currently, yes (unless you abuse something rather... wrong :p :
    Train up some disciples to burn - give them the Market miracle with the best chance of getting the Wondrous version: when you get it, you can pick for a worse miracle + 1 sky shard. So you can have as many as you like, it just takes time and disciples to burn
    )
    Another way could potentially be to beat a particularly tough sacrament that's nasty for your team, but won't help if you end up stuck after it, so currently, not worth it in my opinion.
  • Nope, no one it named prophet :p
  • No, it's not ;) Yeah, you can pick up initiates you haven't picked in your last 2 Coming of Ages with it (or just retire someone - even if just to get their relic back for free)
  • After X years - basically every 4th of your total available time, it'll advance (eg. year 1, year 26, year 51, year 76 for a 100 year game). No impact on gameplay, though the music and some of the village cosmetics upgrade each age, I'm told by the devs :p
  • Yes! Reaching the end of the time (100/200/400 years) is technically a win too, rather than a loss - you'll just get a less good god-rank (in theory. Actually managing to prolong the game that long would be a miracle too).
    Other ways to lose:
    Lose enough disciples to unfaithfulness. Given that it's virtually impossible to manage even one in the current build, it's not gonna happen :p

Bear in mind that there's about to be a new patch with new challenges though, so.... these may change all too quickly!

Tygoth

Updated.
Thanks again for all the explanations in the answers. We've made quite a list of it. ;)
Hope the headers in between make it easier to navigate for someone looking for specific information!

Tygoth

Updated for Will of the People update.
Removed some questions about deleted/changed content.
Made any changes green for better overview.
Would appreciate if someone was willing to check on the correctness of these answers!