What's new

Pink Screen On Launch

AdamantError

Hello! Right after the game launched, I had this same problem and talked about it with Box R. Short.

What is happening is I launch the game, I see the initial loading screen for about a second, then the screen goes pink and I can't see anything. If I click around where the menu should be, I can get a new game to start, which will show some, but not all, of the icons for the create a god screen.

I originally seemed to have fixed this by setting my Steam launch options to -windowed, but this fix no longer works. Will attach a pair of screenshots of the main screen (just pink) and the god creator screen (pink with some controls on top).

Some things to note, if they help:
The game install folder is not on the same partition as the OS (or the Steam install).
I have had a similar bug in some Unity games, though the screen goes white there, so is obviously not as fabulous.

Attachments

Bas

Abbey Games Developer
Developer
Community Member for 5 years
Hey AdamantError,

-windowed is not something our engine recognizes to that's very strange. -r_fullscreen=0 will enable windowed mode from the commandline.

Given that this also happens with some Unity games it really looks like a driver issue. Could you attach the abbeycore.txt file that the game generates in the game folder? The latest version of the engine outputs some information related to drivers in there.

Cheers!
Bas

AdamantError

Strange that -windowed shouldn't have worked. I tried setting it to windowed in the .ini file, and it didn't work this time, either. I also tried adjusting the resolution to 1600x900, which fixes the problem on the one Unity game this happens to, but that did not fix it either. Abbeycore is attached.

Attachments

AdamantError

Clicking some more buttons, something interesting happened. If I manage to click the load game button by guessing where it is, I can load the game and the graphics are fine. It appears to just be the initial loading screen and main menu that are all pink.

Blackvision

Kickstarter Backer Community Member for 2 years
Interesting. Might be related to the bug people had before with white text and backgrounds - that only applied to the main menu too.

Rutger

Abbey Games Developer
Developer
Only thing I can think of is that it might be related to some NVidia issues in de 9xx range we've seen. We're still in contact with NVidia about those (seems to be driver bugs, so we need to know how to work around those), but I'm not sure we can help in the meantime :(

AdamantError

I got another new Unity game, and it has nearly the exact same bug; only difference is the screen is gray, not pink. I can interact with buttons on the screen for it as well, I just can't see them. Definitely seems to be driver issues. I have tried tweaking Nvidia control panel settings, and none of the 'common problem' suggestions I have seen online have done anything so far.

It does seem to be something between my GPU and Unity, which I suppose is good for your game in a way, as at least it in particular doesn't break anything :) . If Nvidia tells you what I would need to change, it would be nice to know what it is. Hope something can be done!

Maarten

Abbey Games Developer
Developer
Community Member for 5 years Abbey Games Developer Kickstarter Backer
Godhood isn't made in Unity though! :) We're working with our own in-house engine, AbbeyCore.

It still could be a manifestation of the same issue, of course.

AdamantError

Huh... I don't know then!
Windows updated yesterday, and it works now! So do the Unity games! It would appear that Microsoft did a bad with the last patch, and now it is better.
Will let you know if I run into any bugs that are actually problems with YOUR code!
Edit: I haven't updated Nvidia drivers since the update, so it seems it was a Windows problem. Not sure if that will be useful to you.

Rutger

Abbey Games Developer
Developer
*shakes fist at Microsoft

Great to hear it's working now, and thanks for letting us know! :)