What's new

Playing to win

Blackvision

Kickstarter Backer Community Member for 2 years
My current strategy for playing for all difficulties, including Impossible (and works fine with all of them):
(I use strategy specifically here - the tactical requirements are very different in every game according to commandment, play-style, totems and classes)

A. Chuck 2 disciples into the holy site and wait until Exciting. Do one more day, then go do the sacrament (which is pretty much impossible to lose)
B. You'll have two god levels and the 2 resource buildings from them: build both.
C.i. From here on out focus heavily on the Materials resource - you need to maximise it as much as possible, particularly for the next 2 fights as they're the only Materials matching nodes for a while - and materials let you multiply up everything you do with upgrades to buildings.
ii.Any disciples you get, try to get the cheap ones and ones with +materials or +offerings per job (and make sure those disciples are always doing a job). When about to sacrament, make sure anyone you're leaving behind has a job so you can get started on whatever resources you need next sacrament while the others are fighting.
D.i. Build exactly 1 miracle building. If you've got it, it's the tavern unless you're Chastity - see below). If you don't, it's the primary damage stat building for your commandment. This will be your only miracle until you get the temple for your commandment. If you're Chastity, build the most suitable damage stat building (Cause their temple is all about the defence stats, so you don't need your main miracle to be).
ii. Cycle which disciples go to sacraments. Order of priority:
1. Those who have requests need to fulfil them asap - they're a massive source of faith and the sooner you complete them, the sooner you can get another. That means if they want to go/not go to sacraments, that takes priority. If they need a miracle, they have to always be Studying/Sacramenting until they're ready to miracle.
2. Those with faith lower than ecstatic unless you have someone ready to replace them.
3. Those who need XP (Ignore if you already have the training ground)
4. Those you need in order to win unless your God HP is dangerously low. I highlight this again: Winning is your lowest priority! There's a limited amount of sacraments, and even if you're getting less resources or lowering the faith of disciples, in the end you get more so long as you can keep your disciple's faith and your religion HP high enough. Don't get me wrong, you'll need to win regularly enough, but it's less vital than the other points. Until you need to win, XP and generating a few resources is much more important.
E. After that, all materials and resources should be focused into upgrading the two gathering buildings - you need to max these asap to increase income. Exclusions to this are only due to which resources your next node you plan to win will give (it doesn't matter at all which you go for if you lose it).
F. Build Study building - use it whenever you have Acolytes or disciples requesting a miracle.
G. Only miracle Disciples who're Ecstatic so long as you're aiming for them to be good in sacraments. Otherwise, miracle the cheap, crappy disciple ASAP - they can be sold off when their faith drops for a bundle of resources so long as you've got someone to replace them. This also applies to any Disciples who are ageing - keep them while they're still useful or if they have high faith levels for jobs, but as soon as they're becoming inferior, dump em, they're doing you no favours.
Also bear in mind that disciples you haven't picked up in the previous two Coming of Ages are always available should more slots open up and don't age in between.
H. Keep going in this method - only build when you have to, use Materials to upgrade first as a priority. If you're hitting a difficulty barrier, collect up followers to upgrade your god level and/or use buildings to help overcome the issues.

Of course, you'll have to find the right balance and the right teams to suit you and your commandment/totems/etc, but that's a good starting point for a win.

That's not to say you have to min/max as much as this implies to win - this is just a good guideline if you're finding it challenging.

Hope it's helpful!

straylight

I'll give this a try, but from giving it a read-through I must say it feels counter-intuitive that in order to achieve final victory you don't need to focus on winning sacraments as often as possible. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for game design that bucks the trend, but it just takes some getting used to a new paradigm like this where losing gives you resources as well, so it can be used as a tool. (Maybe I've been playing too many games geared towards instant gratification where you win frequently. Currently Godhood seems to be offering a LOT of tools to strategize with and take your time and plan ahead, kinda like chess, which is great.)

Rutger

Abbey Games Developer
Developer
Super interesting read BV :) Gives us a lot of insight into what is and isn't working as intended ;)

Last edited:

Blackvision

It's more that you shouldn't focus on the winning, cause winning's easy once you've got all the buildings fully upgraded, the XP rolling in and enough Faith in your disciples - the hard bit's the making it to the end and having everything upgraded, so losing is frequently useful to preserve the sacraments for the end-rush. Not to say that playing that way, I lose often - the God HP wouldn't allow it, but since there's limited Sacraments to do, and you only get each one once... etc.

straylight

Sounds like one possible way to go would be to have vastly more sacraments on the map. People who want to win will go for the final node only doing as many as they need to feel comfortable with their win chances. Obsessive completionists like me will do them all :)

straylight

I've tried this method and, while I haven't reached the end yet, I must say it seems to be doing its job. Your suggestion is to maximize resource income, which makes absolute sense and reminds me of 4X games: whoever gets the most resources get a huge advantage. It's almost a form of brute-forcing the puzzle.

Edit: I also didn't know about the disciples continuing to do work while the sacrament is ongoing. I was always pretty confused to see jobs progress right after returning from a sacrament. Basically a sacrament makes the time wheel progress by 1 season, is that it?

Also, if Excited is designed to always return after 3 seasons, then this should be visible on the enthusiasm bar as a counter. But even so, it feels a little bit prescriptive/limiting to have a set periodicity of 3.

Last edited:

Blackvision

Yeah, 1 Mission = 1 season.

If you want to really poke holes in the system, go to multiple-sacrament places and assign people doing jobs on the 2nd/3rd sacrament - they'll do the job without issues: only the 1st sacrament will turn off jobs they're doing. You can even pre-emtpively send them to the Garden to heal what they'll take during those sacraments. :p

Last edited:

RVWinkle

Kickstarter Backer - Elder
This is interesting stuff and you're basically indicating that the penalty for losing isn't severe enough. I kinda see it as lost turns when you have to send your disciples to heal or to recover from the broken status. This of course prevents you from gathering as many resources before the next sacrament. I also feel like there's time pressure before your disciples start getting old but I'm having second thoughts about old age because a 10% penalty really only counts for a 1-2 point stat loss.

Here's some strategy that I have been thinking about:
  • You should to get your first god level as soon as possible so you can allocate 3 disciples to tasks as this represents a 50% increase in resources gathered per turn. When you only have the holy site, you can only assign 2 tasks and that's lost potential.
  • Maybe I have been lucky but your first relic seems to have a good chance of granting additional resources per task. You want to get this as soon as possible because you're losing potential resources for every turn you spend without it.
  • Save your first statue for the temple which you get in the subsequent god level. I like upgrading the temple to make it an extra powerful miracle.

Blackvision

With the First God Level, mostly true, but it's actually better to wait so you can get both the first 2 in the first sacrament as that way you unlock both the resources - after that, the need for followers in comparatively low for a long time, and having to waste another sacrament just to get them isn't worth it.

For the Relics, depends which elements you're going for. On Impossible I go for an Acolyte or Divine to get the Godstone for more Awe, but yeah, otherwise, Resources are better. Also worth noting with those relics in particular you can avoid the cost of moving the relic if you retire the disciple. ;)

Arguably better to upgrade the miracle you'll get more than 1 of since it's more stats total, but depends how quickly you retire disciples :p