What's new

Steam Optimization Guide

RVWinkle

Kickstarter Backer - Elder
Steam Optimization Guide

Summary
A new version of Steam has been released with an updated user interface. This has generated a number of concerns and complaints. Performance issues abound on slower computers resulting in an unpleasant user experience. This guide is an attempt to alleviate some of the issues that people are experiencing and provide suggestions on how to enjoy your video games without impediments.

The steps below describe a method for configuring Steam so it only shows a simple list of games. The expectation is that it should be considerably faster and less resource intensive. My quick test indicates that it uses approximately one tenth the amount of ram. Here is an example result from following this guide. The below screenshot is the entirety of the Steam window. It’s just a simple list with nothing else displayed.

This list can be configured with custom collections and filtered to only show installed games. My preference is to create a list of favorite games at the top of the list followed by a complete list of all the games I have installed. The downside to this custom list is that it doesn’t provide access to other Steam features such as the store, and community.

There is no risk in following this guide as you are simply creating an additional shortcut. It doesn’t change any settings in your steam installation and it doesn’t prevent normal operation of any application functions. To revert your settings, simply close Steam and open it with your old shortcut.

TLDR

Create a shortcut that points to “steam://open/minigameslist”.

Before You Begin

In order to use the guide below, you must prepare your computer by following these steps.
  1. Install Microsoft Windows
  2. Install Steam

Step By Step Guide
  1. Create a shortcut
    • Right click anywhere on your desktop
    • Click “New”
    • Click “Shortcut”
  2. Add shortcut path
    • Paste the following into the text box
    • steam://open/minigameslist
  3. Click “Next”
  4. Name the shortcut and click “Finish”
  5. Add the Steam icon to the shortcut
    • Right click and select “Properties”
    • Click on “Change Icon”
    • Click on “Browse”
    • Navigate to the steam folder and select Steam.exe
    • Select the desired icon and click “OK”
    • Click on “Apply” and the icon should be updated.

Next Steps

After all of the above steps are completed, you can simply click on your new Steam icon, load Steam, and then proceed with playing your favorite game. To revert Steam to the default settings, you can simply close Steam and open it with your normal shortcut.

Wendek

Good points and thanks for the guide, but here's an alternative solution that I prefer personally: follow this tutorial and revert entirely to the previous UI. It's simpler and fixes all the issues of Steam's new UI.

RVWinkle

Kickstarter Backer - Elder
Good points and thanks for the guide, but here's an alternative solution that I prefer personally: follow this tutorial and revert entirely to the previous UI. It's simpler and fixes all the issues of Steam's new UI.
Hey that's great to see people thinking creatively and outside the box but I would warn that reverting to an older version of Steam will have negative ramifications in the long term. You're basically forgoing future security and compatibility updates.

Wendek

Yeah but if the future "updates" are going to break everything, I'm fine not having them for as long as possible. And am already planning to use GOG a lot more than I did before if Steam wants to become unreliable - kinda regret not buying Godhood there actually as I didn't realize it was available on both stores.