What's new

Suggestions 0.13.17

straylight

These are a lot but please take them understanding that I my Enthusiasm levels are at Excited for this game so that's why I'm trying to give constructive and helpful criticism :)

(1) I feel there's a strange pacing at the start of the game now in what regards getting your first miracles. After the 2nd sacrament, the starting disciples have a miracle charge. But miracle buildings all cost 40 materials and the offering stockpile costs 10. I can use the 20 free mats from the first node to build the offering stockpile, but after that I have to obtain 30 mats through tributes, and then also offerings to spend on the miracles.

This all feels counter-intuitive to the way a miracle is supposed to feel. There's sooo much build-up going into something that's supposed to... just happen, like a miracle.

(2) I would like to see my current resources on the world map, not just the tribute. I want to know how much of each IN TOTAL I'd end up with if I win or lose a sacrament, but currently I have to back-and-forth between city and world view to make that calculation.

(3) It took me a while to realize that ”This tribe matches: X% resource” means that you get bonus resources proportional to how much tribute you go into the sacrament with. The informational content is very succint, very condensed and makes perfect sense from a mathematical point of view, but I feel its user-friendliness could be improved.

(4) I feel the Next and World Map buttons should be even further apart. My hand only needs to slip a little bit on the mouse to press next instead of map and waste a perfectly good opportunity of Excited. Or at least there should be an option to ask for a confirmation when pressing next with disciples unassigned or wasting an Excited moment.

(5) The little building icons on the right-hand side serve no discernible purpose to me. They are too small to distinguish what they are. In the previous version they were bigger and showed their occupancy with squares, so that at least was useful. Currently if I want to see how many occupants a building has I have to look at the disciples list and find the appropriate icons and count them, which feels a bit messy because maybe my 1st and 4th disciples are in a building, with the 3rd in a different one. So my eyesight wanders a lot before obtaining the relevant information. For resource buildings at least I would like it if the icon was simply that resource icon, the information would be a lot more directly visible that way. Even for rituals it could just show the stat symbols because the stats are the main informational content I work with, so I don't have to learn what buildings look like anymore (they all look like small brownish rectangles anyway to me, with or without a few trees here and there). So maybe for the disciples list there could be more symbolic icons to represent jobs instead of the actual models of the buildings.

(6) The Peace Temple is missing a Miracle Description text string in the building info screen.

(7) I've reached the 2nd wave of isles a few times without being a level 11 Creed, so I just had to sit on Sun Shards because I didn't have the appropriate building to assign them (the Sun Stone if I'm not mistaken).

(8) Having multiple god levels with the same name, different only in follower numbers, is confusing in my opinion.

(9) I take it the God Levels screen is supposed to be informative. With that in mind, I don't get enough information from it. It would be nice if building names had a mouse-over effect describing what they do. Related to point (8), the God Levels screen should at least show at what follower milestones each level unlocks.

(10) Ages don't seem to serve any discernible purpose. They're just a number crowding the UI. Am I missing something?

(11) I mentioned this elsewhere but I'm putting it here for completeness' sake: I feel there's a vicious circle situation going on near the end of the 2nd wave of islands. Inadequate classes lead to losses, which lead to loss of faith and overly difficult tribute acquisition to remedy the class situation via Studies, etc. It's a snowball effect to put me down as a player and I feel it's unfun.

(12) I've seen this elsewhere and I share the feeling: I wish I could just click on a disciple and assign a job directly, without having to click on Command Job or Perform Miracle.

(13) Situation: I have 5 disciples. One is in the Materials building, one is in the Offerings building, one is in the Town Center. 2 are free and wounded. I want to heal one of them. With Command Job selected and the Disciple selected, I get the message from the Healing Gardens that I'm at 3/3 disciples inspired. Fine. I click on the little X on one of the 3 assigned ones to unassign them. Problem: the Garden still says I have 3 disciples assigned. So I have to exit the selection and then reselect the wounded disciple to assign them to the garden. The game should register in any state that I have reduced the number of assigned disciples from 3 to 2 by pressing the small X on the job in the left-hand side of the screen.

Blackvision

Kickstarter Backer Community Member for 2 years
1. Absolutely agree! I find that problem reoccurs in the late-game: because you have a lot more disciples and getting miracles charged takes a while, yu often have a lower faith on a disciple by the time you're ready to use it - meaning you have to go to a sacrament with an already-charged disciple just to get their faith higher for a better miracle.

Unless you focus on one team of 3 at a time, you run the risk of wasting XP or getting less good miracles because of this!

5. Absolutely agree. Having them available to click can be useful, but even then, it only zooms to them rather than opening the dialogue itself, and when using them for jobs/miracles I need more reference, be it in mouse-over tools or at the least, icons to know which is which.

6. Think that applies for all the Temples? Not certain. (and would love a fix for all of them)

It still bugs me that you can only see the basic miracle too - I want to know the effects of the superior miracles too - it can make a huge difference between which miracle buildings I wanted to construct and which I don't, and without that info, I have to memorise them in advance or bumble my way through errors (at a big cost in non-refundable resources!).

7. Yeah, this is a huge issue. The only difficulty I genuinely haven't already got the building by the time I beat the Elders is Impossible.

Admittedly, less of an issue for me, as I don't use them until the 3rd island anyway - my disciples will die off before then otherwise and I'll lose the precious Skystones (see
for why they're silly-potent if saved up - and note the disciple levels too)

10. There's a cosmetic shift - very slight change in the music and I think in some village building appearances? But yes, pretty minimal currently.

11. Absolutely agree. Having just completed a run on Normal (which felt about the right pacing for that difficulty or possibly Easy!) and not encountering that barrier in the same way, it reminded me how irritating it was on Classic (and don't even talk about Impossible). That said, I haven't tried Classic/Impossible since they difficulty adjustment.

I worry that the only correct way to approach Impossible currently would be to spend ages 'burning' disciples by losing sacraments to level them up until their faith runs low, then sending them away, building resources, etc until your village can support Disciples that're worth keeping (rinse and repeat as the difficulty increases!).

This would also make Peace the most viable Impossible-run commandment purely because they can get new disciples faster.

12. Absolutely. Including clicking on them in either the village or sidebar. Also applies to buildings - once I click on them, I should be able to immediately assign Disciples straight to it without having to return to the main village screen, find them, select job/miracle and then select the building again.

For an encore, how about the same for Relic assigning too? :D

13. Yep, Agree, major issue. Had this multiple times.

straylight

Another thing that I find strange is this:

I take it all the nodes on all the islands are preset: each city will always have the same mobs defending it.
But the disciples we get are random (Or is there any ”bad luck protection” in place to prevent really undesirable outcomes? Like all 3 disciples being Very Good only at Nature Classes).
So there's this discrepancy between how much randomness I have on my side as a player and how static and constant everything is on the AI's side. It makes me feel like there's a perfect cookie-cutter recipe of doing things and everything deviating from that course is taking away from my enjoyment (or maybe I'm just a perfectionist). But still, I would like it if in the future you could figure out a way to randomize enemies in nodes within reasonable and enjoyable limits.

RickSo

Abbey Games Developer
Developer
Abbey Games Developer
Good solid feedback going on here! Thanks for sharing so many actionable points. They're honestly all things we agree with and would like to get to.
It'll take some time to tackle some of the more fundamental issues, of course! Stay tuned!

But still, I would like it if in the future you could figure out a way to randomize enemies in nodes within reasonable and enjoyable limits.
We have map randomization on the mind! We have some bigger fish (or should I say ancient octopus) to fry first, however!

RVWinkle

Kickstarter Backer - Elder
(1) I feel there's a strange pacing at the start of the game now in what regards getting your first miracles. After the 2nd sacrament, the starting disciples have a miracle charge. But miracle buildings all cost 40 materials and the offering stockpile costs 10. I can use the 20 free mats from the first node to build the offering stockpile, but after that I have to obtain 30 mats through tributes, and then also offerings to spend on the miracles.
I have been mostly replaying the first part of the game and there's some build order strategy that I'm still figuring out. I agree it deserves another pass but you do have the opportunity to train at least one miracle after the second sacrament.

(4) I feel the Next and World Map buttons should be even further apart. My hand only needs to slip a little bit on the mouse to press next instead of map and waste a perfectly good opportunity of Excited. Or at least there should be an option to ask for a confirmation when pressing next with disciples unassigned or wasting an Excited moment.
To add to this, I think it should point out if you haven't assigned the max number of disciples. I have wasted turns because of this.

(5) The little building icons on the right-hand side serve no discernible purpose to me. They are too small to distinguish what they are. In the previous version they were bigger and showed their occupancy with squares, so that at least was useful. Currently if I want to see how many occupants a building has I have to look at the disciples list and find the appropriate icons and count them, which feels a bit messy because maybe my 1st and 4th disciples are in a building, with the 3rd in a different one. So my eyesight wanders a lot before obtaining the relevant information. For resource buildings at least I would like it if the icon was simply that resource icon, the information would be a lot more directly visible that way. Even for rituals it could just show the stat symbols because the stats are the main informational content I work with, so I don't have to learn what buildings look like anymore (they all look like small brownish rectangles anyway to me, with or without a few trees here and there). So maybe for the disciples list there could be more symbolic icons to represent jobs instead of the actual models of the buildings.
When the icons were bigger there was a problem with them overlapping the UI. I'm also pretty sure that you could previously use them to assign disciples and that's no longer the case.

(7) I've reached the 2nd wave of isles a few times without being a level 11 Creed, so I just had to sit on Sun Shards because I didn't have the appropriate building to assign them (the Sun Stone if I'm not mistaken).
You can also get sun stones from miracles before hitting level 11 and they don't show up on the UI at all.

(8) Having multiple god levels with the same name, different only in follower numbers, is confusing in my opinion.
I'm suspect that they have a white board in their office that's filled with every single religious term they could think of and they're running out! .:LOL:

straylight

Regarding the names of the god levels and the fact that I don't know the milestones for unlocking each: maybe each god level name could be used only once, and then use the formatting of the God Levels sheet to create what is essentially a list with sub-items:

Creed
--- X followers: bonus 1, bonus 2
--- Y followers: bonus 1, bonus 2
etc.

Then in the god level-up screen the text could be rephrased to something simple like: Your Creed grows! / More and more followers flock to your Spiritual Circle! or other such phrases that suggest growth but not outright transformation. Then when big milestones are passed, different phrases can illustrate that: e.g. Your Spiritual Circle has welcomed many - it is now a Creed (also customizable based on Commandment! welcomed, conquered, enticed, lured etc.)

Though this would require changing the set phrase currently used for all god level-ups to a palette of phrases based on the specific milestone.

straylight

As an UI suggestion: Add the name of the node at the top of the Sacrament screen (i.e. Jungle Village, Ominous Beach, Cleancoast etc.) I think it would be very flavourful .

Also regarding nodes: I feel it's a bit superfluous to have to mouse-over the node name and then AGAIN over the little skull to see tribute and forces, respectively. All this information would be much more welcome all in one spot: the node mouse-over, doing away with the little skull mouse-over. The regular/golden skull to denote a regular/boss battle can still be used next to the forces listing in the single mouse-over.

In the Sacrament Preparation screen it would also be useful to see the percentages of tribute, not just flat numbers. As it stands, the viewer sees e.g. 75% on the world map and then in the preparation screen sees 7. It's a disconnect between the unit of measurement and order of magnitude and therefore I feel the information is processed slower.

Last edited: