What's new

[Suggestions] A Few Things

Reiteration6

I've had this game since 20 July, and currently have 37 hours played, which probably isn't an insanely large amount, but I feel like it's enough for me to have a fairly informed opinion. So I've now decided to voice some suggestions which have been on my mind for a while.

Disappointing Miracles
Most of the miracle failure penalties aren't too bad; losing followers, or resources, or a disciple losing some spirit temporarily... and then you get the one that gives your disciple the permanent -20 faith. Ouch. There's such a massive difference in severity between this and the others that it feels like it should be an ultra-rare drawback that you almost never see, yet in my experience which one you get seems to depend solely on which building(s) you're using for your miracles.

My favourite class is Ascetics, because I typically like tanky characters in games, so often I'll be using a tavern as my main miracle building, and the only disappointing miracle penalty I ever seem to get from that one is the -50% spirit, whereas whenever I try playing a class that needs a Charisma miracle, I need to build the storyteller's circle, and I repeatedly get the -20 faith, which results in that disciple being permanently in a neutral mood. I don't know about others, but this really discourages me from wanting to play any classes with a focus on charisma.

I think, in order to be more in line with the other disappointing miracles, this debuff should only last a few turns, instead of being permanent.

More Classes/Buildings
Easier said than done, I know, but it would be ideal if there was one class for every possible combination of two attributes, and one building for each as well. Currently there are only two miracle buildings which focus on two attributes; the tavern and the market. And there isn't even a class which has knowledge and cunning as its primary attributes, so the market is not especially useful. Luckily for me, the one class which actually has an ideal miracle building for buffing its two primary attributes also happens to be my favourite class... but I'd still like to see others able to be levelled more efficiently.

Religion HP
I'm honestly confused as to why there's such a massive difference in the player's and the AI's Religion HP at later levels. Surely it would make more sense to give the enemy disciples higher levels and better stats, rather than giving them inexplicable, massive RHP buffs? I saw that screenshot thread on here, so I know there are players who're building their disciples with massive crits in mind, and I imagine this isn't really a problem to them, if they're able to deal 200+ damage in a single attack. But as someone who likes to try different things which may not always be the most efficient methods of winning in the shortest time possible, I'd like it if I could look at the enemy's power levels, see that my disciples were a bit stronger, and know that they should have a decent chance of winning, rather than having to aim to have substantially higher power levels to make up for the enemy's huge amount of bonus RHP.

Skill Learning
I'd recommend changing this so that new abilities can only replace ones that are a level below them, rather than the same level or lower. Given that skill points are very rare, an average disciple is likely to only ever have whatever skills they get randomly after a miracle ritual, so it's really frustrating for me when an existing skill is replaced by one of the same level, when the disciple has basic attacks still remaining which could easily have been replaced instead. There have been times when one of my disciples has gotten all four of their miracles and still has three basic skills left. That really sucks.

Procedural Generation
Yeah, I know this is a long shot. Making the world procedurally generated would probably take an enormous amount of effort, so it's likely this is not a remotely realistic suggestion, but I still thought I should mention it, as it would certainly give replayability a big boost if the island shapes, enemy locations, enemy disciples and enemy religions were all randomised.

Reiteration6

I should mention that these suggestions are based on my time playing the current main version of the game, as I haven't tried the beta version of the Will of the People update.

RVWinkle

Kickstarter Backer - Elder
It looks like you posted in the beta forum so you have probably seen how many of these great suggestions are already being worked on. A word of advice for your favorite class, the game currently favors a strong offense but I've found a very strong combo of two tank/healer classes and one overpowered physical offense class with crit abilities like the Beast Walker or Smite Sword. I would also suggest that the best ritual site is the market because you have a chance to get a rare sun stone that grants ability points.

Blackvision

Kickstarter Backer Community Member for 2 years
I would also suggest that the best ritual site is the market because you have a chance to get a rare sun stone that grants ability points.
It's, uh, less of a chance thing :p

(Spoilers on getting wondrous miracles and faith building)
If you get your disciple to ecstatic and check their faith so it won't drop below 75 in the duration of their miracle, they virtually always get the best result (I suspect it's a straight % chance of their fate to get wondrous. I do know they cannot get the disappointing one if ecstatic or happy).

Easiest way to do so? Winning Sacraments with them. It may feel like a waste of exp, but it's the best way to get good results (and unless you lose a lot, they'll be ecstatic the moment they get back from levelling anyway.

Later on, the monastery books with global +faith is the later-game method.

RVWinkle

Kickstarter Backer - Elder
Tonight I had a disciple perform a miracle with 97 faith and it was not wondrous. Bad luck I guess.

Reiteration6

Now that you mention it, I have noticed that I'm getting a lot of wondrous miracles in the beta, and almost no disappointing ones (barring the very first game I attempted, which was a disaster). Is that probability the same in the main build? I ask because I'm fairly certain I got disappointing miracles with happy disciples before I started playing the beta.

I have to say, I much prefer the current system of happiness to what it was before, where it was necessary to recruit people with each disciple twice every 8 turns to ensure they remained happy.

Blackvision

Kickstarter Backer Community Member for 2 years
Tonight I had a disciple perform a miracle with 97 faith and it was not wondrous. Bad luck I guess.
It's unlikely, but does happen :p

As for the happiness, I generally agree that the current model is better, with the massive exception that you have to do sacraments to keep happy. If it were just for the followers, that wouldn't be a problem, but to keep Faith high in your disciples, you have to keep doing them and winning enough to keep them content. Having one of these to make you sacrament, absolutely great, but having both means that it's extremely hard to get back up when you hit a difficulty wall (like moving into the second island) and just makes you want to quit or start over.

RickSo

Abbey Games Developer
Developer
Abbey Games Developer
Now that you mention it, I have noticed that I'm getting a lot of wondrous miracles in the beta, and almost no disappointing ones (barring the very first game I attempted, which was a disaster). Is that probability the same in the main build?
Yep! We actually made the Miracles a bit more fair when it comes to getting results based on your Faith.
Glad to hear you like the new Faith system!

klimbo

Now that you mention it, I have noticed that I'm getting a lot of wondrous miracles in the beta, and almost no disappointing ones (barring the very first game I attempted, which was a disaster). Is that probability the same in the main build? I ask because I'm fairly certain I got disappointing miracles with happy disciples before I started playing the beta.
Bluestacks Kodi Lucky Patcher
I have to say, I much prefer the current system of happiness to what it was before, where it was necessary to recruit people with each disciple twice every 8 turns to ensure they remained happy.
yes i think that is probability the same in the main build

Last edited:

RickSo

Abbey Games Developer
Developer
Abbey Games Developer
At this point the beta build and the main build are one and the same, yes ☺

We'll make a new topic here when we enter a new beta period. Keep an eye out for it!

ilikewater

i was wondering if we are missing some classes....there are times when i am looking for the best class for my warrior and its not there....i think its a dark hero that only has one class....or the knowledge class only has one type right?

RickSo

Abbey Games Developer
Developer
Abbey Games Developer
i was wondering if we are missing some classes....there are times when i am looking for the best class for my warrior and its not there....i think its a dark hero that only has one class....or the knowledge class only has one type right?
You unlock a unique class per Commandment. The Executioner (Dark Melee striker) is unlocked with the War Commandment, for example.
This should be better feedbacked when you pick your Commandment, definitely!